Nets’ Andray Blatche questioned in sexual assault case in Philly

28 Comments

UPDATE 2:01 p.m.: We have more details about the incident and the player involved was Andray Blatche, something he himself tweeted but has since taken down. Here is what it said, via Howard Beck of the New York Times.

“Im ok and I didn’t do anything jus was n the area when it happened”

In the tweet he confirms what had been suggested in an early report — that he was not being investigated for the sexual assault itself. Nobody has been charged in the case yet, although it is early in the investigation. Two other men reportedly brought in for questioning are not part of the Nets traveling party.

Blatche was considered a head case in Washington that the Wizards wanted to get rid of. The Nets took a chance on him this summer and he has played well for them with 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds a game, and he is shooting a career best 49.3 percent. He has a PER of 23.2 and is a guy discussed as a potential Most Improved Player candidate this season.

11:19 am: Be careful jumping to conclusions, we don’t have a lot of details yet. We don’t have any names.

What we do know from multiple reports is that a Brooklyn Nets player has been questioned in a sexual assault case at the Four Seasons hotel in Philly, where the team is staying in advance of their game against the Sixers Tuesday night.

Here are the few details we have, via NBCPhiladelphia.com.

Police tell NBC10 that a woman was taken from the Four Seasons Hotel on 18th and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to a local hospital just before 4 a.m. The woman told police she was raped by someone inside the hotel, according to investigators.

They are questioning a man inside a Four Season’s hotel room regarding the incident. Police also say a Brooklyn Nets player was in the hotel suite at the time of the alleged incident but was not in the bedroom where it may have occurred.

This may not be the player himself but an associate (not that it in any way excuses the player, if this did indeed happen and he knew about it but did not stop it). Other reports have said a player and his “associates” were questioned at a police station (the Special Victim’s Unit office, to be specific). No charges have yet been filed against anyone for the alleged assault on the 21-year-old woman. The Nets released a statement essentially saying they know a player was questioned but nothing more.

We will update this as we get details.

Quinn Cook signing two-year contract with Hawks

Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for TNT
Leave a comment

The Hawks began last season with just two point guards, one fewer than most teams – especially notable because neither starter Dennis Schroder nor backup Malcolm Delaney was experienced for his role.

Schroder and Delaney return, but Atlanta is adding another option – Quinn Cook.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

Cook is a borderline NBA player. He might not make the regular-season roster. He also might supplant Delaney for a rotation spot.

A 24-year-old who has spent most of the last two years in the D-League (also getting stints with the Mavericks and Pelicans), Cook is a good outside shooter. He’s also steady, if unspectacular, in his lead-guard duties.

This is a solid flier at a position the Hawks could use depth.

Knicks sign Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Jamel Artis

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Knicks signing Nigel Hayes leaked first.

But New York didn’t stop there.

Knicks release:

The New York Knickerbockers announced today that the team has signed forwards Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes and guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

Like Hayes, Artis (Pittsburgh) and Rathan-Mayes (Florida State) went undrafted this year – making them eligible to be waived and assigned to the Knicks’ minor-league affiliate. That’s likely all three’s fate.

But first, each will have an opportunity to make the regular-season roster. The Knicks have just 14 players with guaranteed salaries, leaving one roster spot for someone on a standard contract. Chasson Randle (unguaranteed) is the incumbent choice, but these three could supplant him.

O.J. Mayo says abusing prescription painkillers triggered NBA ban

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Last year, O.J. Mayo was banned from the NBA for at least two years due to a drug violation. Aside from stating a plan to come back, Mayo didn’t say much publicly.

Until now.

Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated:

He acknowledged smoking marijuana and abusing a prescription pain medication that triggered his two-year ban because it is on the NBA’s “drugs of abuse” list. (He emphatically denied testing positive for hard drugs like cocaine.)

Mayo also concluded that he had been “overwhelmed” by a string of difficult life events: his father, high school basketball star Kenny Ziegler, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for distributing crack cocaine, his brother was placed in juvenile lock-up, a close friend went to jail, and another was killed. “I was bred to play basketball and I thought I could balance everything,” he said. “I couldn’t.”

That’s part of an interesting feature on Mayo, who’s training for his come back. Golliver’s story makes it easy to pull for Mayo.

But the guard will be 30 when he’s eligible to apply for reinstatement, and he played lousily in his last three seasons with the Bucks.

Hopefully, Mayo has and keeps his personal life in order. But returning to the NBA will be an uphill battle.

James Harden throws alley-oop to Chris Paul, pair puts on show at Houston charity event

Leave a comment

What chemistry problem?

There are legitimate questions about how Chris Paul and James Harden will share the backcourt and ball with the Rockets, but none of those were on display on Sunday. That’s when CP3 joined his new teammate in Harden’s charity game (raising money for Harden’s charity, which helps children from single-family homes get a higher education), a kind of pro-am with some names thrown in to draw a crowd.

Harden and CP3 put on a show for the fans.

This is a charity event, not every team is going to defend like this or the Phoenix Suns. It’s going to be harder when the games matter.

But the Rockets are going to be entertaining to watch this season. No doubt.