Dwight Howard

Shocking report: Orlando Magic won’t pursue Dwight Howard in free agency


And by shocking, we mean surprising that this is something that needs to be reported at all.

It hasn’t been all that long since Dwight Howard spent an entire season holding the Orlando Magic hostage, taking a relative eternity to decide whether he should stay or go elsewhere.

Howard had the option of simply letting free agency take its course, but instead opted in for the final year of his contract late last season, before changing his mind once again and forcing his way out of town.

The fences haven’t come close to being mended between Howard and the Magic organization, who fired its head coach and general manager as a result of last season’s fiasco, and possibly did so to placate Howard in a last-ditch effort to convince him to stay.

All drama aside, the fact remains that Howard will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. It’s safe to say things haven’t gone as planned in Los Angeles thus far, so Howard may in fact be in play when many believed that signing long-term with the Lakers was a foregone conclusion.

In case you had any doubt, the Magic won’t be one of the teams lining up to court the All-Star big man for his services.

From Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel:

The Orlando Magic won’t attempt to convince Dwight Howard to rejoin their team when Howard becomes a free agent in July, an NBA source with knowledge of the Magic’s thinking told the Orlando Sentinel.

Magic officials are said to believe it’s too soon to try to bring back Howard after the acrimonious eight months between his Dec. 2011 trade request and the deal that sent him to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Although no one believed Orlando would get in business with Howard ever again after what he pulled last year, this report makes it somewhat official.

As if there was any doubt.

LeBron says “get it done” message was for both Cavaliers, Thompson

LeBron James
Leave a comment

Everything LeBron James does and says gets magnified and scrutinized.

So when he put out this photo on Instagram standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Tristan Thompson and the caption “get it done” it seemed a message to the Cavaliers.

Get it done!!!! Straight up. #MissMyBrother @realtristan13

A photo posted by LeBron James (@kingjames) on

LeBron clarified that on Sunday, saying this has become a distraction, and the message was for both sides to bend, as reported by Dave McMenamin of ESPN and Chris Haynes of the Plain Dealer.

When Thompson didn’t sign the qualifying offer he surrendered a lot of leverage, the Cavaliers don’t have to raise their five-year, $80 million offer — but reportedly they still would, a little. Thompson and his agent Rich Paul have pushed for a max contract, but that’s not happening.

At some point, the two sides will come to an agreement. For the Cavaliers, this is a distraction, their star is unhappy with that, and ultimately if they are going to make a title run they need the energy and rebounding Thompson brings (even if it is just off the bench). For Thompson, he can’t make up a year of lost salary, he has to come in and start getting paid at some point.

The two sides will get it done. Eventually. Likely before the season tips off.

China basketball qualifies for 2016 Olympics

Leave a comment

China has secured the ninth and final Olympic men’s basketball berth awarded this year.

China earned the bid to the 2016 Rio Games with a 78-67 win over the Philippines. 2016 first-round draft prospect Qi Zhou had 16 points and 14 rebounds, setting up the Olympics to be his big introduction to American fans.

Former NBA player Yi Jianlian won tournament MVP by averaging 16.7 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.2 blocks per game.

This will be China’s ninth straight Olympic appearance.

The Philippines, who got 17 points from Andray Blatche in the final, will still go to an Olympic Qualifying Tournament next summer with a chance to reach Rio.