LeBron James listens to a question at a news conference during media day at the Miami Heat's home arena in Miami, Florida

LeBron doesn’t think Popovich was wrong for resting Spurs starters against Heat

19 Comments

There’s been plenty of discussion over Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich’s decision to rest his three best players on Thursday, all of whom were healthy, for his team’s nationally televised contest in Miami versus the defending champion Heat.

No matter where you stand on the issue, it’s tough to argue that the league would be better off as a whole if more teams were to follow Pop’s lead on this, but it’s equally tough to argue that the commissioner’s office has any room to punish the Spurs for their actions, with no rules against what the organization did being in place prior to the decision.

One person who didn’t seem to have a problem with it was LebBron James, who addressed this issue specifically during his postgame comments.

From Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida:

“I don’t think Pop was in the wrong,’’ said Heat forward LeBron James, who scored a game-high 23 points. “It’s not in the rules to tell you that you can’t not send your guys here or send your guys home. But the commissioner will make his decision, and everybody else will deal with it.’’

Stern actually did fine the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 when then coach Pat Riley didn’t play healthy starters Magic Johnson and James Worthy in the 1989-90 regular-season finale at Portland. But that was before it became commonplace in the NBA to rest players at the end of seasons, and not a peep had been heard before from Stern when Popovich had sat out guys.

This is the core issue, and Stern’s largest hurdle in handing down any form of punishment.

A fine more than twenty years ago is hardly a precedent that can be pointed to, especially when the Spurs specifically have done this repeatedly over the last few seasons without consequence.

James may not have an issue with what the Spurs did against his Heat, but plenty of others do — including David Stern, who has an interesting decision to make about how this will be dealt with in the future.

Al Horford shows he still has hops dunking on Solomon Hill (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

That’s just nasty.

Atlanta’s Al Horford gets the ball out high, but within his range, so when he pump fakes Indiana’s Lavoy Allen goes flying by. That opens up the lane and Horford attacks it, Solomon Hill tries to cut him off, but Horford just finishes threw him.

Pacers and Hawks played an entertaining, close game Friday night.

Dwyane Wade shows he still has hops with dunk on Hornets (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade still has some springs.

In what may be his best dunk in recent memory, he shoulders Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to create space in transition, then gets up and throws it down before Nicolas Batum can get there for the block.

Not sure even Wade saw that one coming.

Reigning dunk champ LaVine: ‘I’ve got tricks up my sleeve’

Leave a comment

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves guard Zach LaVine is heading back to All-Star weekend to defend his slam dunk title. And he says he has “a few tricks up my sleeve” after dominating the event last year.

LaVine will compete against Detroit center Andre Drummond, Denver swingman Will Barton and Orlando forward Aaron Gordon in Toronto next weekend.

LaVine was one of the breakout stars of All-Star weekend last year with his electric performance in the dunk contest. He says he debated about coming back and made his decision after strong encouragement from his fans.

If LaVine wins, he will become the fourth player in the 31-year history of the event to repeat as champion. Michael Jordan, Jason Richardson and Nate Robinson are the others.

Report: Blake Griffin has second procedure on hand, timeline remains unchanged

Blake Griffin
Leave a comment

Blake Griffin will still return to the Clippers some time in March (barring any setbacks).

That said, he had a second procedure this week to repair the boxer’s fracture in his right hand, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

Clippers forward Blake Griffin underwent a second procedure this week on his broke right hand, sources told ESPN. The procedure was a part of the original surgery last week, so sources said the 4-6 week timeframe for his return remains unchanged.

This might help explain why Griffin’s hand looked so swollen and scarred this week. But to be clear, this was a planned second procedure, not a setback.

Griffin suffered the fracture punching a Clippers’ equipment manager while everyone was out to dinner in Toronto recently, while Griffin was still sidelined with a quadricep injury. The Clippers have moved on, but it is likely the league will tack on a couple of game suspension for Griffin upon his return to health.

And no, the Clippers are not looking to trade Griffin in spite of this. So stop asking.