Jamal Crawford says he ‘deserved to get booed’ by Blazers fans

3 Comments

Saying last season was a disappointment in Portland is like calling the Titanic a minor boating accident. There isn’t enough hyperbole there to do it justice.

The Blazers were a talented team a season ago, but dealt with all kinds of locker room trouble that resulted in a complete dismantling of the club that began at the trade deadline and continued through the summer. Gone from last year’s roster are Raymond Felton, Marcus Camby, Gerald Wallace, Kurt Thomas, and head coach Nate McMillan.

Jamal Crawford was also on that list, and he returned to lead his new team to victory over his old one on Thursday in triumphant fashion. Not surprisingly, the fans in Portland weren’t pleased, so the bood rained down on Crawford from the rafters.

Crawford, however, had no problem with the fans’ reaction, and said afterward that anyone who played there in the mess that was last season deserved it.

Via CSNNW:

When Crawford first entered the game late in the first quarter, he received a rash of boos. He said when he heard those rumblings of displeasure, he just took it and grinned.

“I smiled, actually. I smiled,” Crawford said. “Because anybody who was a part of what happened last year, I think deserves to get booed. I don’t have any hard feelings for the fans here. I took less to come here. I just wanted to get out here and get a win and that’s what we did.”

Crawford says he expected this type of ovation.

“Nah, I kind of expected it,” Crawford said when asked if he was surprised. “I told my fiance I kind of expected it and she said ‘No they’re not’ and I said ‘Nah, trust me.’ I had a feeling they thought I was behind coach (McMillan getting fired) and all that stuff.”

There were all sorts of rumors floating around as to who exactly was the cancer in the Blazers’ locker room, and while most of the fingers ended up pointing at Felton, it was likely a combination of veterans leading the charge against their head coach during an extremely rough campaign.

Crawford has been around, and is one of the more thoughtful guys you’ll speak with in an NBA locker room. He knew this was coming, and handled it by doing the only thing he could, which was to go out and torch his former team on the way to victory.

Rick Pitino predicts NBA draft will accept high schoolers within two years

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Once an advocate of increasing the age minimum and a willing accepter of one-and-done, NBA commissioner Adam Silver sounded more open about allowing high school players to declare for the NBA draft.

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement left the issue open, but Louisville coach Rick Pitino predicts change is coming – relatively soon.

Pitino, via ESPN:

When I was at Kentucky, I had seven high school basketball players, told me they were coming, and instead, they went to the pros out of high school. And by the way, I think that rule is going to change back to that. I think high school players are going to be able to go pro again.

I think the commissioner is probably going to do it within two years.

Does Pitino know something? With decades of experience in the NBA and college, he could have many contacts with inside information. It’s certainly imperative for devising a recruiting strategy to know how this rule will change.

It’s also possible Pitino saw Silver’s comments, like any outsider could have, and is making a relatively blind guess.

But the possibility of inside information makes his comments more intriguing.

Warriors executive: Golden State rejected richer jersey-ad offers

Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Warriors are charging $60 million over three years for their jersey ads – about double what any other NBA team is getting.

Golden State chief marketing officer Chip Bowers, via Darren Rovell of ESPN:

“We actually had multiple finalists,” Warriors chief marketing officer Chip Bowers said. “This was not the biggest deal that we were offered.”

Bowers said the team felt it was important for the deal to be with a worldwide brand.

Light years ahead.

New Bulls advisor Doug Collins: ‘I am woke’

4 Comments

The Bulls hired Doug Collins as an advisor.

Is Collins, who has coached only one winning season in the last 20 years and often sounds analytically disinclined, too behind the times?

Collins:

I’m old. Let me finish. But I’m not old school. I’ve got a young brain. And I think you get pigeonholed: That guy is old school because he’s old. Now, if being on time and working hard and doing all those things are old school, then yes, I’m old school. But I will match my wits with anybody in terms of young people, in terms of what’s going on now and what’s happening. So, I am woke.

Suddenly, Kyrie Irving‘s statement on ESPN – “Oh, if you’re very much woke, there’s no such thing as distractions” – has a challenger for the most awkward use of “woke” by NBA personnel this week.

Report: Andre Iguodala nearly left Warriors for Rockets

Bob Levey/Getty Images
2 Comments

Remember those mid-June rumors about Andre Iguodala already agreeing on a salary to re-sign with the Warriors?

The tide sure changed in a hurry.

Iguodala put out word that he was open to leaving, pressuring tax-conscious Golden State. He met with the Lakers, Spurs, Kings and Rockets.

Houston particularly intrigued him despite reportedly offering just four years, $32 million. The Rockets could have offered $37,658,880 with the mid-level exception, though they wanted to save a sliver to give Zhou Qi a four-year deal – and that still would’ve fallen short of other offers. They also discussed signing-and-trading for Iguodala, but they pitched him on a defensive unit that included him, Chris Paul, Eric Gordon and Trevor Ariza. What else would Houston have intrigued the Warriors with?

And would Iguodala really have left Golden State, an all-time great team that positioned him to win 2015 NBA Finals MVP and a team that played near Silicon Valley?

Chris Haynes of ESPN:

The Warriors had been in the dark for a day and a half and contacted representatives of free-agent small forwards Rudy Gay and Gerald Henderson as a contingency plan. But Myers immediately hopped on a plane from the Bay Area and Kerr was already in Los Angeles, having recently visited with free agent Nick Young. They didn’t know it, but Iguodala’s objective in sitting down with them was to personally say goodbye, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.

Myers and Kerr came prepared to offer him a fully guaranteed, three-year deal worth $45 million and reiterated that their latest offer still wasn’t indicative of what they believed to be his true worth. Their hands were just tied.

There was little hope for a resolution at this point. Iguodala wasn’t budging from his request to make at least $16 million per year. If the Warriors didn’t improve their offer, he was signing with the Rockets, sources said.

After an hour, both sides departed and a breakup appeared likely. Iguodala’s camp proceeded to discuss their options. The Warriors’ top reserve was inching closer to becoming a top reserve for the Rockets. But before Rosenthal was to call Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Antonio and Golden State to notify them of his client’s decision, sources said Iguodala elected to make his final, most defining move yet: calling Golden State one more time.

That of course ended with the Warriors stepping up with a three-year, fully guaranteed $48 million contract, which Iguodala signed.

I recommend reading Haynes’ captivating look into Iguodala’s free agency in full. But keep this in mind: Iguodala won his negotiation with Golden State, and it’s in his best interest to continue a harmonious relationship with the organization. That means, if he were bluffing about leaving in order to secure a bigger offer from the Warriors, he’s incentivized not to show his cards now. He’s better off keeping up the story, making the Warriors believe they didn’t pay more than necessary to keep him.