Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry says contract talks may have affected his opening night performance

4 Comments

The Warriors earned a hard-fought victory over the Suns on Wednesday, in a game where they blew all of a 17-point first-half lead and had to come from eight points down in the final period to get out with that win.

A big part of the Warriors’ trouble was the fact that the team’s biggest stars in Stephen Curry, Andrew Bogut, and David Lee didn’t contribute in a positive way offensively to the team’s effort. Curry and Lee combined to make just 4-of-30 field goal attempts, and Bogut, playing his first game since suffering an ankle injury nine months ago, performed well but was limited to just 18 minutes by the team’s medical staff.

It’s unclear why Lee was so off on this night (and we’ll leave it to Warriors fans to further disparage his particular performance), but Curry may have had a legitimate reason.

The contract extension talks — which resulted in a generous $44 million dollar extension over the next four years — had been weighing on Curry significantly, and after the game he said that the “crazy day” he endured may have indeed been part of the reason for his 2-of-14 night from the field.

“I think it was just one of those games, but it was just a crazy day,” he said, while trying to make sense of it all. “It was still a little nerve-wracking the last 48 hours seeing if we could get something done, and obviously we didn’t have any games so it’s pretty much all I was thinking about. And then this morning, realizing that it was finally done, and then media obligations and family texting me every five seconds … it was definitely a blessing. But thankfully we were able to get a win and finish off the day nicely.”

The win almost didn’t come, with the Warriors leaving the door open time and again for the Suns to take it instead, especially down the stretch. Curry had a chance to seal the game with his team up two and just 4.4 seconds remaining, but the career 90 percent free throw shooter missed two straight from the line to give the Suns one final chance.

“That was about the sign of how my night went,” he said. “Thankfully there was not enough time for them to get a shot off and I was able to walk off with a win.”

Now that the contract extension is firmly in place, it’s likely Curry returns to form the next time he takes the court. If he takes the advice that head coach Mark Jackson had for him, he should be able to put this one bad game behind him and immediately find his way back.

“I told him he already earned his money,” Jackson said. “He doesn’t have to go out there and try to earn it all again in one night.”

PBT Podcast: Lakers, Pacific Division preview with Mark Medina of L.A. Daily News

Los Angeles Lakers' D'Angelo Russell, left, poses with with Jordan Clarkson (6) during the team's NBA basketball media day in El Segundo, Calif., Monday, Sept. 26, 2016. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)
Associated Press
Leave a comment

We’re baaaaaack!

The ProBasketballTalk Podcast at NBC Sports is done with its summer hiatus, and there will be a couple of podcasts a week now running through the NBA season, trade deadline, playoffs, and eventually free agency. We’ll talk about it all.

We start with NBA season previews, going division by division, and we start that tour on the West Coast. Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News joins Kurt Helin of NBC to talk about the Lakers and their rebuild. From there the conversation goes to questions such as can anyone beat the Warriors? Are the Clippers contenders? Plus we talk about the building processes going on in Sacramento and Phoenix.

As always, you can check out the podcast below, or listen and subscribe via iTunes (check there to see all the NBC Sports podcasts), subscribe via the fantastic Stitcher app, check us out on Google play, or check out our new PBT podcast homepage and archive at Audioboom.com.

 

Report: Rockets signing P.J. Hairston

HOUSTON, TX - DECEMBER 21:  James Harden #13 of the Houston Rockets and P.J. Hairston #19 of the Charlotte Hornets watch a shot during their game at Toyota Center on December 21, 2015 in Houston, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
Scott Halleran/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Rockets created a little roster confusion by giving Gary Payton II a fully guaranteed deal, bringing Houston to 15 players (the regular-season roster limit) with guaranteed salaries plus restricted free agent Donatas Motiejunas.

This won’t clarify the situation, but P.J. Hairston will give the Rockets another intriguing piece.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Hairston was a first-round pick just two years ago, and at age 23, he still presents upside. He has at least stopped producing negative headline after negative headline after negative

Now, we can focus on just Hairston’s major on-court flaws. He misses a lot of shots and does little else. But he has some raw tools, even if they barely showed with the Hornets and Grizzlies.

If the Rockets make a roster-clearing move, they could take a chance on keeping the talented/troubled wing around. More likely, he heads to the D-League, where Houston can develop him in its system.

Joakim Noah: Jerry Reinsdorf’s ‘frontline’ comment a ‘low blow’

GAINESVILLE, FL - SEPTEMBER 10:  NBA player Joakim Noah looks on during a game between the Florida Gators and the Kentucky Wildcats at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on September 10, 2016 in Gainesville, Florida. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
2 Comments

After watching Joakim Noah leave for the Knicks, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf said, “We felt Joakim wasn’t going to be a frontline guy anymore.”

Ouch.

Noah, via Marc Berman of the New York Post:

“He’s entitled to his opinion,’’ Noah said. “I feel I have no regrets about my time in Chicago. I gave it everything I had. To me that’s all that matters. I did everything I could for that organization. I thought it was a little bit of a low blow, but at the end of the day I have nothing but respect for that organization. I’m just excited for this new chapter of my career.”

Reinsdorf was right. Noah, 31, is on the downside of his career. I wouldn’t want him for $72 million over the next four years.

But Noah is also right. He gave the Bulls everything he had.

Noah didn’t deserve that parting shot, even if it was correct.

I also wonder how much this has to do with Chicago correctly assessing Noah’s value vs. the Bulls losing a player whom they wanted to keep and lashing out about it.

Spurs waive Ryan Richards, open roster spot

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - MAY 12: Tim Duncan #21 of the San Antonio Spurs waits for the Oklahoma City Thunder to bring the ball down court during the second half of Game Six of the Western Conference Semifinals during the 2016 NBA Playoffs at the Chesapeake Energy Arena on May 12, 2016 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.   NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by J Pat Carter/Getty Images)
J Pat Carter/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Spurs drafted Ryan Richards No. 49 in 2010, and he could’ve signed with San Antonio any year since. To maintain a second-rounder’s rights, a team must extend a required tender – a one-year contract, surely unguaranteed at the minimum. If the player rejects the offer, those rights extend another year, and the team must then offer the tender again the following year.

Richards finally took the tender this year.

Just a couple days into training camp, the Spurs showed how much they value him.

Spurs release:

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have waived forward/center Ryan Richards.

San Antonio now has 19 players and one open roster spot. I know what you’re thinking.