Brooklyn New Arena

Damage from Hurricane Sandy leaves Nets home opener in doubt

7 Comments

By now you’ve seen the pictures of the flooding and devastation from hurricane Sandy’s assault on the northeast. Well, unless you’re one of the more than 7 million without power in the region, then you unfortunately are living it (and likely not reading this).

Damage from Sandy has become a real threat to the Knicks at the Nets game Thursday, which was set to be the regular season debut of the Nets new home — the Barclay Center in Brooklyn, where the franchise moved after 35 years in New Jersey.

Earlier in the day, the NBA said it was still “assessing” the situation for games later in the week but that all the Tuesday night games would go on as scheduled.

The good news is the new center itself went undamaged from Sandy, reports Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News. So long as it has power, the building could host the game Thursday night.

The question is could anybody get there?

As you may have read, storm surge flooded the already closed New York subway system, with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg saying Tuesday morning it could be “four or five days” before the system is back up and running.

Why does that impact the Nets and the Barclays Center? Howard Beck explains at the New York Times.

Barclays Center is served by 11 subway lines and the Long Island Rail Road, none of which are running at the moment. City officials have said it will be three or four days before subway service returns. The lack of mass transit could be crippling for the arena, which sits on Brooklyn’s busiest intersection, at Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues. Parking in the area is severely limited. Barclays Center officials have promoted mass transit as the preferred option for visiting the arena, which opened Sept. 28.

The Nets also have home games scheduled for Saturday (against Toronto) and Monday (against Minnesota). The Knicks’ home opener is scheduled for Friday night against the Miami Heat.

There is no way the Nets want to postpone this game, both because it’s the home and building opener, and because they get a banged up Knicks team without Amare Stoudemire. There is no way the league wants to postpone an opening week, nationally televised game.

The question is, will they have a choice?

Gregg Popovich pins Spurs’ effort problems on players: ‘I don’t remember playing tonight’ (video)

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich gives instructions against the Detroit Pistons in the first half of a preseason NBA basketball game in Auburn Hills, Mich., Monday, Oct. 10, 2016. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)
AP Photo/Paul Sancya
1 Comment

The Spurs fell behind by 18 and eventually lost to the Bulls, 95-91, last night – which begged the question:

Does San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich bear any responsibility for his team’s lack of early intensity?

Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News:

Popovich:

I don’t remember playing tonight. I didn’t play. Guys get a lot of money to be ready to play. No Knute Rockne speeches. It’s your job. If you’re a plumber and you don’t do your job, you don’t get any work. I don’t think a plumber needs a pep talk. If a doctor botches operations, he’s not a doctor anymore. If you’re a basketball player, you come ready. It’s called maturity. It’s your job.

Like it or not, motivation is part of an NBA coach’s job.

But that’s also precisely what Popovich is doing.

His credentials dwarf any other coach’s. He can play to his own ego and absolve himself of responsibility – and players will seek to please him. His years of success have earned him the ability to motivate this way, a method no other coach could use without alienating his team.

Donatas Motiejunas signing four-year, $35 million contract with Rockets

DENVER, CO - MARCH 07:  Donatas Motiejunas #20 of the Houston Rockets is helped to his feet by teammates James Harden #13 and Patrick Beverley #2 of the Houston Rockets at Pepsi Center on March 7, 2015 in Denver, Colorado. The Rockets defeated the Nuggets 114-100. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
1 Comment

Once the Rockets let Donatas Motiejunas back into free agency, this was only a matter of time.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

This sounds remarkably similar to the salaries and incentives set in the original offer sheet from the Nets. But remember, the Rockets didn’t match some of those bonuses that Brooklyn would have been bound to.

So, why not hold Motiejunas to what became a four-year, $31 million offer sheet once matched? Houston got something in return – a later trigger date on guaranteeing Motiejunas’ 2017-18 salary. Originally, that decision had to be made March 1 – which would’ve meant dropping Motiejunas from the team this season to prevent his salary from counting next season. Now, the Rockets can make that call in July, after this season is complete.

The following two Julys, Houston will also have a choice on guaranteeing Motiejunas’ upcoming salary or dropping him.

Essentially, Motiejunas is signing the most lucrative Hinkie Special in NBA history. If he plays well and stays healthy, the Rockets have Motiejunas at an affordable rate. If he struggles or his back injuries flare up, they can drop him with little to no penalty.

After they backed themselves into this corner, Motiejunas and his agent, B.J. Armstrong, didn’t do so bad. Considering the similarity between this contract and the Nets’ original offer sheet, it seems Houston helped Armstrong save face after a bungled free agency (which is easier to accept when you’re adding a talented reserve to a formidable team).

But for how little is guaranteed and how much control the Rockets hold over the next four years, wouldn’t Motiejunas have been better off accepting the $4,433,683 qualifying offer?

Report: Rockets return Donatas Motiejunas to restricted free agency, working on new contract with him

Donatas Motiejunas, Kenneth Faried
AP Photo/David Zalubowski
Leave a comment

The Rockets had Donatas Motiejunas in a bind.

He was beholden to them on a four-year, $31 million deal and unable to sign with other teams. Motiejunas’ choices: Report for a physical or wait in limbo.

But apparently Houston has allowed him out of that constraint.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

This means Motiejunas can’t sign with the Nets, who signed him to the original offer sheet, for one year.

I bet it also means Motiejunas and Houston have agreed to a new contract. Otherwise, why release him from the offer sheet? The Rockets would be giving up a tremendous amount of leverage out of the goodness of their hearts – unless this is just a prelude to a new deal with Houston.

John Wall pushes down Jusuf Nurkic from behind in retaliation (video)

3 Comments

John Wall didn’t like how Jusuf Nurkic bumped him, so Wall shoved the Nuggets center from behind and sent him to the floor.

An overreaction to the bump? Probably. Wall got hit with a technical foul.

But I’m mostly just impressed Wall was strong enough to push over Nurkic.