Injured New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin reacts during pregame ceremonies before the Knicks play against the Miami Heat in Game 2 of their first round NBA Eastern Conference basketball playoffs in Miami

Knicks to decline to match Jeremy Lin offer. He’s a Rocket.


Linsanity, welcome back to Houston.

As was expected in recent days, the New York Knicks have decided not to match the Rockets three-year, $25 million offer to Jeremy Lin, so he will be a Rocket, reports Howard Beck at the New York Times. While nothing is final until midnight eastern, the only way this changes is if owner James Dolan has a last minute change of heart. Which is highly unlikely. The Knicks are done debating it, Beck reports.

This is not going to sit well with some Knicks fans, who had a soft spot for Lin. After years of futility he brought a sense of hope and fun to Madison Square Garden that had been missing. He saved this past season in New York, sparking a turnaround (one that evolved under new coach Mike Woodson) that led the team to the playoffs. Fans loved him for it.

Knicks fans, if this upsets you don’t blame Lin, blame your own team management.

Rather than make an offer to Jeremy Lin and try work out a deal, they told him to go out and get an offer on the open market, but told everyone publicly and privately they would match any offer that came in. Woodson said Lin would be the starter in the fall.

Then the Rockets offer came in — $5 million for year one, $5.2 million for year two (the max any team could pay him those years under the terms of the CBA), and a whopping $14.8 million in year three. A “poison pill” deal.

The Knicks balked. They dared him to get an offer they wouldn’t match, and he did.

The Knicks looked at their expenses in that final year — Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire make $23 million each, Tyson Chandler makes $14.5 million — and they looked at the looming, more punitive luxury tax that will be in place by then. The Knicks said no.

The Knicks traded for Raymond Felton last week and we all knew that meant Lin was likely gone.

Lin will return now to the Rockets — Houston had him briefly last year but had no place to really play him on a team with Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic. They waived him and he found his way to New York.

Lowry and Dragic are both gone (Toronto and Phoenix, respectively). The Rockets will have Lin to run their point and be an international marketing phenom (something the organization has experience handling). However, having Lin will add salary and complicate the Rockets’ chase for Dwight Howard.

And Knicks fans will not have their favorite. A guy the Knicks could have kept with some up-front negotiations.

Report: Lamar Odom found unconscious, taken to Las Vegas hospital

Lamar Odom

Let’s hope that this is not as bad as it sounds.

Lamar Odom, whose NBA career was cut short due to his challenges with drug use, has been taken to a Las Vegas-area hospital after being found unconscious at a brothel in a city not far outside the city, according to the report from TMZ.

Lamar Odom is fighting for his life after falling into unconsciousness at Dennis Hof’s Love Ranch South in Pahrump, Nevada … TMZ Sports has learned.

Sources at the Love Ranch tell us … 35-year-old Odom arrived at the Ranch Saturday and was partying with the girls for days. A source at the Ranch said Lamar was taking an herbal substitute for Viagra. We spoke with Hof … who tells us Tuesday afternoon, a woman went into Odom’s room in the VIP suites and found him unconscious.

Odom spent 14 seasons in the NBA, starting his career with the Clippers and going on to be a key figure in the 2009 and 2010 Los Angeles Lakers title teams. He won Sixth Man of the Year in 2011.

While famous in basketball circles — and incredibly well liked by players and media, he was one of the funniest guys in the league — he became a pop culture sensation when he married Khloe Kardashian. However, it was about that time that his drug use started to take a toll on everything in his life. It was not long before he was traded to Dallas, and things started to truly spiral out of control for him. He went for treatment after that, but never returned to the NBA.

We will have more as the story develops. Our thoughts are with Odom, and we hope he pulls out of this.

Jazz waive Jack Cooley and J.J. O’Brien

Jack Cooley, Jordan Mickey
1 Comment

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Utah Jazz said Tuesday that they have waived forwards Jack Cooley and J.J. O'Brien.

Cooley played in 16 games with the Jazz last season after being called up from the NBA Developmental League. He averaged 1.7 points and 1.6 rebounds. Cooley’s fate with the team seemed to be decided when 7-foot center Jeff Withey signed a multi-year free agent deal in August. The 6-9, 260-pounder was in his second NBA season.

O’Brien was signed as an undrafted rookie Aug. 28 and played in one preseason game with the Jazz.

The Jazz roster now stands at 18.