LAS VEGAS — The NBA Summer League began on Friday and, unfortunately, none of the games were very close. Fortunately, however, there were a lot of pretty stellar performances that fans should be impressed with considering their rookies were playing in their first professional games.
It’s tough to take too much of the game to heart considering there are four more games each player will play this week, but the following players were most impressive.
- Donatas Motiejunas is going to join the Houston Rockets for the upcoming season and, if Friday’s action is any indication, he was worth the wait. The big man from Lithuania is built like an NBA player with tree trunks for legs and showed that the size is functional, too, on his way to 25 points and nine rebounds while missing just two attempts from the field.
- Klay Thompson probably had the best game of any of the young players on Friday — something that obviously makes sense considering he ended up being a pretty good contributor for the Golden State Warriors this past season. Thompson was on heat-check mode all game on his way to score 24 points, six rebounds and five assists while showing a nice chemistry with new draft pick Harrison Barnes. Barnes scored 23 points, by the way, while hitting all four of his 3-point attempts.
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist looked like a man — and therefore an excellent pick at No. 2 — as he scored 18 points, eight rebounds, five assists and four steals to help lead a very solid Charlotte Bobcats team to victory in the nightcap.
- Two of the most recent first-round picks for the Washington Wizards both showed a lot of potential in the first game of the day as Bradley Beal made his debut to the tune of 22 points while Chris Singleton added 20 of his own. A third recent first round pick wasn’t quite as stellar, however, as Jan Vesely scored a paltry 11 points before fouling out — an impressive feat considering it takes 10 fouls to foul out.
- Washington rookie Terrence Ross was solid for the Toronto Raptors on his way to 21 points, but the box score unfortunately shows that he took 19 shots to reach that mark.
It’ll be interesting to see if these players are able to keep it up for the rest of this week, but the above certainly got off to a solid start on Friday.