Mark Cuban’s “tear it down to build it back up” plan has worked out about as well as Napoleon invading Russia so far. No Deron Williams. No Steve Nash. No Dwight Howard (yet, at least). Jason Terry leaves for Boston.
And now Jason Kidd, who the Mavs said they were near a deal with, has jilted them at the altar and will instead sign a multi-year deal with the Knicks, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
With the Mavericks confident that they were closing in Thursday on a verbal agreement on a three-year deal with Kidd worth $9 million, sources told ESPN.com that Kidd — after all-day deliberations with both teams — has decided instead to leave Dallas to join the Knicks for a similar deal.
Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that Kidd was ultimately swayed to take the Knicks’ offer to come to New York and take on the challenge of trying to help the Knicks move into the Eastern Conference and also mentor fans darling’ Jeremy Lin.
Everyone may want to steer clear of Mark Cuban for the next 48 hours or so. At least. Just for your own protection.
Not sure where this leaves Raymond Felton, who reportedly was going to New York also. Probably out in the cold, looking for another team to join. The Knicks don’t need Kidd, Felton an Jeremy Lin. And Lin is maybe the most secure of all of them.
For New York, this is a decent if not thrilling signing. Kidd gives the Knicks a solid point guard who can space the floor with threes and doesn’t need to dominate the ball. Which is good, because the offense runs through Carmelo Anthony.
Kidd is entering his 19th NBA season and will go down as one of the game’s best point guards. But he is not that guy anymore at age 39. Last season Kidd gave the Mavericks 28 minutes with 6.2 points and 5.5 assists per game, and his play was solid if not his old spectacular self. He also missed 18 regular season games due to injury.