Nuggets’ Andersen’s home searched in “Internet crimes against children” investigation

34 Comments

UPDATE: 4:39 pm: Andersen has been released from his duties with the team at this time and will not be at Game 6 against the Lakers, the Nuggets announced in a team statement.

 The Denver Nuggets are aware of today’s media reports involving forward/center Chris Andersen. It involves a legal investigation and we are awaiting further details. Chris has been excused from all team-related activities indefinitely as he deals with the reported investigation. Per team policy, the Nuggets will not comment on any ongoing legal circumstance involving any player or employee.”

3:33 pm: The Denver area home of Nuggets big man Chris Andersen has been searched as part of an “Internet crimes against children” investigation, according to the Denver Post, Other sources have confirmed this to be about child pornography and Andersen was the target of the investigation.

Andersen, 33, has not been arrested, though deputies have seized property from his home this morning.

“The Sheriff’s Office did contact him this morning while he was at his house and he cooperated fully,” said spokeswoman Deborah Sherman.

There are not a lot of details and the search warrant itself was sealed by the judge who issued it. However, a Denver area television station is reporting that after a tip from California law enforcement Andersen had been under investigation for child pornography crimes for several months.

Andersen took part in the team’s morning shootaround Thursday as they prepare to take on the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 6 Thursday night. The Lakers lead the series 3-2 but could be without Kobe Bryant for Game 6. Andersen has not played in this series.

Child pornography and sexual abuse are some of the most horrific crimes I can think of, and as a father they make my blood boil. That said, we do not know a lot here, certainly not enough yet to throw around blanket accusations. As the Post notes.

Proving who used the computer or computers in question is frequently a tricky part of Internet crime cases. Property records show at least one other person lives at the Larkspur home.

Andersen was suspended from the NBA for two seasons starting in January 2006 after failing multiple drug tests (for what the league called “drugs of abuse” not performance enhancing). He applied and was reinstated to the NBA in 2008 and has not failed a drug test since. In the community he had worked with and helped raise money for a couple of charities that helped abused children and that helped children get an education.

Andersen has two years, $9.3 million left on his contract. That could be voided if the charges pan out as this would certainly violate morality clauses in his contract. The Timberwolves and a number of teams had targeted Andersen for potential trades this summer.

Judge grills Suge Knight – facing murder charge – on NBA-champion pick (Rockets)

Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Suge Knight is facing a murder, threat and robbery charges in three separate cases.

The former rap mogul was in court yesterday to set a trial date for the murder charge.

Marisa Gerber of the Los Angeles Times:

A few minutes later, during a separate hearing in the criminal threats proceeding, another judge asked Knight to return to his courtroom in May. The judge then turned to Knight, asking who he thought would win the NBA playoffs.

“At this time…” Knight said, before the judge cut him off, saying he wanted a once-and-for-all answer.

“Houston,” Knight responded.

“Alright, Houston. Good pick,” the judge said.

Knight smiled.

What?

Milwaukee taco restaurant releases security footage showing manager greeting Giannis Antetokounmpo

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
2 Comments

Shortly after Giannis Antetokounmpo led the Bucks to a Game 4 win over the Celtics on Sunday, someone eating at a Milwaukee taco restaurant tweeted a photo of the Greek Freak waiting for a table. According to the tweeter, nobody helped Antetokounmpo at all.

The picture went viral.

But!

The restaurant claims a manager greeted Antetokounmpo and released surveillance footage to prove it:

636600856935702605-BelAir-Entry-Way-Still.jpg

“We appreciate everyone’s passion for treating Giannis and all customers with great customer service,” Monday’s follow-up read. “It is something we strive to do every day. We reviewed the entryway footage from last night, and we are proud to reaffirm that Giannis was promptly greeted by our manager and told the wait time. Giannis has been a customer many times and he has graciously accepted our apology for not being able to seat him and other customers more quickly last night.  Our focus is now on supporting our team on this playoff run. Go Bucks.”

The release concluded with the hashtag #TacoBoutAMisunderstanding.

TacoBoutAMisunderstanding, indeed.

For his part, Antetokounmpo never griped publicly about the taco restaurant. The wait was longer then he wanted so he went elsewhere.

He has more important issues to focus on – like Game 5 in Boston tonight.

Kevin Durant: Liking anti-Russell Westbrook Instagram comment was ‘total accident’

AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki
2 Comments

Kevin Durant liked an Instagram comment critical of Russell Westbrook.

Here we go again?

Royce Young of ESPN:

I’m not inside Durant’s mind. He could be lying to cover another burner Instagram snafu.

But I tend to believe him. It’s easy enough to accidentally click like, and the greater context is on his side.

Durant has always tried to downplay a feud with Westbrook. Even at the personal rivalry’s peak, Durant just seemed as if he wanted Westbrook to like him. So, it’s nearly impossible to believe Durant – even for a button-pushing moment – wanted to publicly slight Westbrook.

But maybe Durant wanted quiresultan or some other alter-ego to do so? Maybe, as beaten down as he looked by the controversy over those deleted tweets last summer, Durant didn’t learn his lesson and still uses burner accounts. I certainly wouldn’t rule that out.

Again, though, this would be a weird message. Last summer’s deleted tweets praised Westbrook while slamming the rest of the Thunder. Durant was going to have a burner account take the opposite stance now? That doesn’t really add up.

NBA apparently reviewing whether Russell Westbrook should be suspended for Thunder-Jazz Game 5

10 Comments

The NBA has a hard rule during altercations: Any players who leave the bench area receives a one-game suspension. Intent doesn’t matter. It’s not negotiable. The league simply doesn’t want more players entering a fracas.

Russell Westbrook found a gray area last night.

The Thunder star was waiting to check into Oklahoma City’s Game 4 loss to the Jazz when Raymond Felton fouled Rudy Gobert, um, unpleasantly. Gobert and Felton got into it, though not immediately. Once they did, Westbrook walked onto the court, and he and Gobert swiped at each other.

Gobert and Felton eventually received technical fouls. But could harsher punishment be in store, especially for Westbrook?

Andy Larsen of KSL.com:

A pool reporter request to the game officials to ask them about the play was initiated, but the NBA indicated that the officials wouldn’t comment on the matter because it would be reviewed by the league’s disciplinary committee.

The key question should be: Did a referee already beckon Westbrook into the game? If one did, Westbrook shouldn’t be suspended. If none did, Westbrook should be suspended.

The league will talk to the refs and get a better understanding of what happened. Their account matters most.

But one indicator working against Westbrook: Steven Adamswhose toughness is beyond reproach – was also waiting to check in and stayed on the sideline. If Adams had already entered the game, wouldn’t he have gotten involved? Maybe not, but his hanging back is circumstantial evidence pointing toward a Westbrook suspension.

Again, though, the referees’ accounts matter far more.