Rudy Fernandez Nuggets

Nuggets’ Fernandez out for season, Olympics due to back surgery


The backcourt of the Spanish Olympic team has taken some real blows in recent weeks.

First Ricky Rubio, and now Rudy Fernandez will be out for the rest of the NBA regular season ad the Olympics, reports Marc Spears reports at Yahoo.

Spanish Olympic team takes another blow. Nuggets announce guard Rudy Fernandez to have lower back surgery and will miss rest of season.

First, that is a blow to a Nuggets team that is trying to hang on to one of the final playoff spots in the West and hold off hard-charging Phoenix and Utah. Denver is currently the 7 seed, 1.5 games ahead of 9 seed Utah and 3 up on 10 seed Phoenix (Houston is the 8 seed, one back of Denver). Denver already traded away Nene for JaVale McGee (although that worked out last night) and now this is a blow to their guard depth. Fernandez averaged 8.6 points per game and was a threat from three (although his shot from deep had been off this season at 32 percent).

Fernandez also would have seen a lot of key minutes in the backcourt for Spain this summer at the Olympics in London. It’s very possible that Rubio (knee surgery) and Fernandez would have started for Spain, or at least both would have played significant minutes together in the backcourt. Now more falls to Jose Calderon. Spain is considered the most serious competition for the USA in trying to defend its gold medal.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.