Dwight Howard

While team shops him, Dwight Howard tells Magic “take a chance” on me

28 Comments

It’s actions, not words that matter.

Dwight Howard told the Magic Wednesday night to take a chance on him again, like they did when he was 18. Trust him.

“They took a chance on me at 18,” Howard said (transcribed from the Orlando Sentinel’s postgame video). “And what did I do? I gave them everything I had for eight years. Take a chance again.”

But Magic ownership sees a guy that earlier that day told his teammates and members of the front office that he would opt-in and spend another year with the Magic — then hours later said he would not give up his right to terminate his contract this summer. He would not give up his rights to walk away after this season and leave the Magic empty handed. Ownership sees a Howard that wants his cake and to eat it to — to make a playoff run with a good Magic team then test free agency.

Even as late as 1:30 am Thursday morning came a report from Jarrod N Rudolph of RealGM that in an exclusive interview Howard told him again he would opt-in for next season. That he would send the paperwork in Thursday morning.

The Magic will believe it when they see it. As they should — actions not words. In the short term they feel they have no choice — Magic officials are burning up the phones talking to other teams, looking to move Howard before the 3 p.m. Thursday trade deadline, according to multiple sources such as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.

The Nets — Howard’s preferred destination — have a package centered around Brook Lopez and a couple first round picks, along with other players. The Rockets and Lakers, both long time suitors of Howard, are making a push. The Magic are reaching out to teams like the Knicks to see if a package involving Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler is a possibility. They are talking to everyone.

But Howard really doesn’t want to be traded. Here is what he said following the Magic’s loss to the Spurs Wednesday night (transcribed from the Orlando Sentinel’s video of his postgame remarks).

“They know how I feel,” Howard said. “I’ve expressed that to my teammates. I’ve expressed that to ownership, and it’s on them now. I’ve done my job. I haven’t changed. And despite whatever is being said, I’m still the same person. If you want to scrutinize me for taking care of Dwight, then that’s fine….

“I’ve sat down with them on numerous occasions about what we can do together, but I can’t do it all myself. I want them to help. I want them to be involved in changing Orlando. That’s always been my goal. And if that don’t know what to do. But I want to continue to play…

“They took a chance on me at 18. And what did I do? I gave them everything I had for eight years. Take a chance again. I go out every night and play hard. If I didn’t want to win I would have dogged it, but I can’t do that. That’s not who I am. And look where we are. We’re in a great position. All I said was take a chance. They took a chance on me at 18 when everybody else said ‘no, don’t do it.’ It looked stupid at first, but look now. It’s the same situation. That’s it. I understand their situation “

If he really understands their situation, he’ll understand why they have to trade him. They can’t trust him not to walk away at the end of the season now. He lost that. Because of his actions.

Report: With Joffrey Lauvergne trade, Mitch McGary likely done with Thunder

DALLAS, TX - MARCH 16:  Mitch McGary #33 of the Oklahoma City Thunder at American Airlines Center on March 16, 2015 in Dallas, Texas.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Oklahoma City frontcourt is crowded. Enes Kanter and Steven Adams will start, and they will have Nick Collison, Ersan Ilyasova, Domantas Sabonis, and now Joffrey Lauvergne behind them.

Which likely means Mitch McGary‘s done as a member of the Thunder, according to Royce Young of ESPN.

McGary has battled injuries his two seasons in the league and got on the court for only 72 minutes total last season for the Thunder (he played in more games and put up solid numbers in the D-LEague). He was not part of the future there regardless. He’s an undersized five trying to play the four and what he brought as a rookie — energy — was not enough as a sophomore.

McGary will make $1.5 million this season. He may be tough to move because he’s suspended for the first five games he’s eligible to play next season for failing the league’s drug policy (five games is the standard suspension for testing positive for marijuana three times). Maybe a team looking to develop players will give him a shot, but there is little trade value for him.

Dwight Howard is shooting 19-footers to improve his free throw stroke

Dwight Howard
AP Photo
3 Comments

If you can knock down a 19-foot shot, then a 15-footer should be easier. Right?

Apparently that — and just basic muscle memory — is the latest attempt to improve Dwight Howard‘s free throw shooting. And, he seems to be knocking down those shots.

It’s not hard to see the logic in this approach.

The challenge is form and reps are not the problems for Howard — or DeAndre Jordan or Andre Drummond or others — when it comes to hitting free throws. Anyone who says “why don’t they just practice the shot” doesn’t pay attention, these guys put in a lot of work on the shot. Pregame and in practice (I’m Los Angeles based), Jordan probably hits 65 percent from the line. At least.

The problem is mental. That can be a tougher hurdle to clear. Maybe taking 19 footers and knocking them down will have Howard feeling more confident at the stripe this season.

But we’re going to need to see it to believe it. Just like we’re going to have to see a rejuvenated Howard in Atlanta before we believe this season will be different from the last few.

Report: Veteran big man Jason Thompson agrees to deal in China

BEIJING, CHINA - OCTOBER 15:  Jason Thompson # 34 of Sacramento Kings in action during the 2014 NBA Global Games match between the Brooklyn Nets and Sacramento Kings at MasterCard Center on October 15, 2014 in Beijing, China. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Until this season, Jason Thompson had never been to the playoffs. He spent seven seasons in Sacramento before getting traded to the Warriors last offseason, and then signing with the Raptors midseason when Golden State waived him to make room on the roster for Anderson Varejao. His NBA days appear over, at least for now. International basketball reporter David Pick reports that Thompson has agreed to a deal to play in China.

Since the CBA’s season ends in March, Thompson could theoretically join an NBA team for the stretch run next year. But he didn’t appear to have much interest on the free-agent market this summer.

Report: Veteran big man Kevin Seraphin working out for Pacers, getting pursued by Barcelona

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 01:  Kevin Seraphin #1 of the New York Knicks reacts after he is called for a foul in the second half against the Brooklyn Nets at Madison Square Garden on April 1, 2016 in New York City. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

After five years in Washington, French forward Kevin Seraphin signed a one-year deal in New York last offseason. He played 48 games for the Knicks, averaging 3.9 points and 2.6 rebounds in 11 minutes per game and wasn’t a big part of their rotation. Now, as a free agent, he’s looking for a new NBA home, and Yann Ohnona of L’Equipe reports that he’s worked out for the Indiana Pacers and has interest from the Spanish club FC Barcelona.

The translation of that tweet reads:

Kévin Seraphin, always courted by Barcelona, is in the United States for a trial with the Pacers of Indiana

With Barcelona in pursuit, Seraphin appears to have a solid fallback option if he can’t land a spot on an NBA team. He can be useful as a fourth or fifth big, it’s just a matter of a team having room.