Not sure what they were expecting, but what the New Orleans Hornets were offered for center Chris Kaman didn’t impress them, so they are taking him off the trade market.
That means he will be reinstated on the Hornets active roster, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN.
The league-owned Hornets deactivated Kaman last week and told the former All-Star on Friday that he could wait at home while team officials tried to find a new trade home for him.
But after discussions with numerous teams, sources said, New Orleans has decided to end those talks and recall Kaman, although it wasn’t immediately clear what sort of role he’ll have after Hornets coach Monty Williams announced last week that getting minutes for young players such as Jason Smith, Al-Farouq Aminu and Gustavo Ayon was the staff’s priority.
When the Hornets say they are taking him off the trade market, what that really means is they are going to wait and hope that offers improve closer to the March 15 trade deadline.
Talk around the league (something Broussard alludes to) is that the Hornets are asking for a lot of picks and young players to give up Kaman — a solid but not inspiring center making $14 million this year in the last year of his deal. Teams are not going to give up the future to bring in Kaman now. But the League is said to be driving a hard bargain, as they tried to do (and had some success with) in the Chris Paul trade.
Kaman might get a bump in minutes as the Hornets try to showcase him.