Report: Boston getting calls asking about Paul Pierce

28 Comments

Can you picture Paul Pierce in any other uniform than Boston green?

It seems weird. But Celtics fans are starting to try, they taking to message boards and asking the big question:

Is it time to blow up the Celtics and rebuild?

This team has lost five in a row, has fallen to 4-8, and in their loss to Oklahoma City Monday it was clear they were not as athletic, as deep, as talented or as good. OKC is what a contender looks like. Is it time for Boston to start trading everyone not named Rajon Rondo and rebuild from the ground up.

Other teams are wondering if Boston is considering that, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.

Does ownership and general manager Danny Ainge go for the complete rebuild and trade Pierce before the March 15 deadline? Several contending teams have inquired about Pierce’s availability. As one Eastern Conference official said, there are “lots of calls asking if [Boston] will blow it up.”

Last summer Boston made the conscious decision to make one more run with this group, but it may be one run too many. General Manager Danny Ainge has long wanted to break up these Celtics too early rather than hang on too long (what he saw as the big mistake after the 1080s teams that he played on).

Would he really do it? Maybe. He traded Kendrick Perkins and did not bring back Tony Allen. He’ll make hard decisions. And there would be trade value for the big three right now.

Ray Allen is playing well (shooting 51.3 percent), is in the last year of his deal and fits in just about any system — there would be multiple offers for him that gets Boston picks or young players. Garnett is also in the last year of his deal and would draw interest. Pierce is stickier — he has this season plus $15.3 million for next season remaining on his deal. He is playing better as he rounds into shape, he played well last season, but is another team going to take on that much salary for an aging player with question marks?

Boston is not going to make a move soon, it would be closer to the All-Star Game or trade deadline. These Celtics are not a 4-8 team and as they keep improving things will get better — but this is not a contender in the best of circumstances. But there are contenders or teams on the fringe that would have interest in the big three.

It seems the hard thing to do, to break up the best Celtics core in a while. But it’s going to happen in the next year or so one way or another. Is it better to jump start the process, even if you have to see Paul Pierce in another color? Maybe it is.

Hornets’ Malik Monk expected to miss Summer League with sprained ankle

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Malik Monk‘s game is a perfect fit for Summer League: The tempo is up, the guards have the ball in their hands, the plays are basic, and the defense is inconsistent (to be kind). Monk’s ability to create shots for himself, score in transition off pull-ups or attacking the rim, and his ability to score on spot-up chances coming off screens means he would put up numbers in the glorified pick-up games of Summer League.

Except we’re not going to get to see it this year. Monk will miss Summer League due to a sprained ankle suffered during the pre-draft workout process, the Charlotte Hornets announced. The team says his rehab process is 2-4 weeks, but they are not going to push their new player just to get him in some meaningless Summer League games.

Charlotte was lucky Monk fell down the draft board to them at 11, he was rated higher than that on most boards. He can score at the NBA level, how far his career goes will depend on his ability to do other things, particularly defend. His style of game is similar to Lou Williams or Monta Ellis, both of whom have had long NBA careers because they can just get buckets.

That would have been fun to see in Summer League, but maybe next year.

La La Anthony: I’m staying in New York, and Carmelo Anthony prioritizes staying close to our son

1 Comment

Self-serving Knicks president Phil Jackson said Carmelo Anthonywould be better off somewhere else.”

Anthony’s wife, La La Anthony, revealed a different point of view when asked whether she’d divorce the star forward and about trade rumors involving him.

La La on The Wendy Williams Show:

Not right now. I’m not. You know, marriages are tough. And you know that. We all know that. It’s filled with ups and downs. And we’re just going through a time right now.

But him and I are the best of friends, and our number one commitment is to our son, Kiyan. We have to set an example to Kiyan, and that’s what’s most important to me. So, I would absolutely never say a bad thing about my husband. That is my son’s father, and he is an amazing dad. I could not ask for a better dad.

Every day, I see a different team. That’s for sure.

The most important thing with just that is to stay close to Kiyan. That’s my priority. That’s his priority.

So, wherever he ends up, of course we want him to be happy.

I am hood, and I want to stay close to the hood. So, New York is definitely where I’m at and where I’m staying.

The Knicks are lousy, and working for Jackson is no treat. Carmelo knows all that.

But this might reveal why Anthony hasn’t – and, according to Jackson, still won’t – waive his no-trade clause to approve a deal from New York. There are things that matter more than basketball.

Danilo Gallinari: Nuggets aren’t my first choice in free agency

AP Photo/David Zalubowski
1 Comment

Pending free agents almost always express loyalty to their current team, whether or not they actually plan to re-sign.

That’s what makes Danilo Gallinari‘s comments stand out.

Gallinari, via Premium Sport, as translated by E. Carchia of Sportando:

“Nuggets are not my first choice but they are exactly at the same level of the other teams. Denver’s advantage is that they can offer me a five-year contract while other franchises can offer me a four-year deal. Nuggets are at the same level of the others” Gallinari said.

One way to look at this: If a player stating a desire to return to his team – even if he plans to leave – is the baseline, Gallinari is definitely gone from Denver.

Another: Gallinari is being exceedingly honest, and we should just take his comments at face value.

Rule change kept Paul Millsap off All-Defensive teams

Gary Dineen/NBAE via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Giannis Antetokounmpo made the All-Defensive second team at forward with 35 voting points.

Paul Millsap missed the All-Defensive second team at forward with… 35 voting points

The difference? Antetokounmpo had more first-team votes (seven to zero), and that was the tiebreaker. But not long ago, both would have made it.

The league changed its policy a few years ago to break ties rather than put both players on the All-Defensive team, league spokesman Tim Frank said.

In 2005, Dwyane Wade and Jason Kidd tied for fourth among guards with 16 voting points each. Even though Wade had more first-team votes than Kidd (six to four), both made the All-Defensive second team.

In 2013 (Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah) and 2006 (Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd), two players tied for the first team. So, the league awarded six first-team spots and still put five more players on the second team.

I was definitely against that. A six-man first team should have meant a four-man second team – four guards, four forwards and two centers still honored.

But with a tie for the second team, I could go either way. Having a clear policy in place – and it seems there was – is most important.

It’s just a bad break for Millsap, who, in my estimation, deserved to make an All-Defensive team based on his production.