Magic's Howard listens to the National Anthem before their NBA basketball game against the Kings in Sacramento

Dwight Howard keeps his cool as trade rumors swirl

14 Comments

It’s the Clippers. No, it’s still the Nets. No, the Lakers. And Orlando still loves you!

Rumors are swirling around Dwight Howard like he’s an honorary Kardashian, but he is keeping his cool, keeping his head down and winning games. And for now that is working.

The latest rumor to come up was that the Clippers were now on his list of teams where he would sign an extension. First, off, there is no deal the Clippers can offer right now that the Magic would take (unless you think D’Andre Jordan and Mo Williams will get it done… in which case you are wrong).

But the Clippers and Magic have not spoken since before the season anyway, reports ESPNLosAngeles.com. Not that formal talks are any real way to measure progress, things can be discussed through back channels, but there is not a lot to discuss because the Clips used their good trade pieces to get Chris Paul.

Then there is Patrick Ewing, the Knicks legend and current Magic assistant passing on advice, via the Orlando Sentinel.

“Everybody always thinks the grass is always greener,” Ewing said. “But it’s a great opportunity for him to stay in a [single] place. I wish I had stayed and finished my career here in New York. But it’s his decision….

“You’ve got to have a thick skin to play in a place like (New York,” Ewing said.

What does Howard say about all this? He is talked with and is taking the Carmelo Anthony route — speak platitudes and win games. Keep his head down and just keep going, as Ken Berger notes at CBSSports.com.

“All (‘Melo) said was, ‘Do what’s best for you,'” Howard said Monday after his Magic beat Anthony’s Knicks 102-93 — Orlando’s fourth straight win, the last three on the road. “‘Whatever you decide, people are gonna dislike you, but you have to live for you.’ And it’s good advice. I just told him, ‘I want to do whatever I can do to win.'”

He’s winning now in Orlando, but this roster is not going to win a title come the playoffs and everyone knows it. What’s more, there are no clear paths to getting better than Miami or Chicago in the near term. Under the new CBA Howard is going to have to take less money when he leaves — only Orlando can offer a super max deal, the sign-and-trade way Anthony did it is no longer allowed. Howard seems good with that.

Howard can keep his head down and keep plugging along for now. But when the All-Star Game comes to Orlando next month it will be different. Then the trade deadline will approach and the Magic will have some hard decisions to make. Decisions they can ignore now as the team wins.

For now platitudes and wins will work. But not much longer.

Dwyane Wade ‘honored’ to be Prince’s favorite player

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Season 2
Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favorite basketball player.

The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis.

Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57.

Referees admit error at end of Thunder/Spurs, will add call to training in future

Leave a comment

It’s hard to describe the final play of the Thunder Game 2 win over the Spurs and the officiating during it for a family-friendly publication such as this. The phrase I want to use starts with “cluster” but that’s as far as I can go.

The officiating crew missed a host of calls during those final 13 seconds, but they have at least owned up to the most egregious one — missing Dion Waiters pushing off Manu Ginobili while the Thunder guard tried to inbound the ball. (Yes, Ginobili’s foot was on the line, but sorry Thunder homers that was not close to the most egregious miss at the end.)

After the game, the lead official Kenny Mauer admitted that error.

Now the NBA referee’s union released this statement:

Did that decide the game? No. We like to focus on things we can blame as going wrong, but the Spurs offense started 2-of-15 shooting on the night, was inconsistent, and they still had a chance at the end. This one play is not why the Spurs lost. Manu Ginobili said it well postgame.

Raptors’ Bismack Biyombo given after-the-fact Flagrant 2 for elbow to Pacers’ Turner, no suspension

TORONTO, ON - APRIL 26:  Bismack Biyombo #8 of the Toronto Raptors celebrates a dunk late in the second half of Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Indiana Pacers during the 2016 NBA Playoffs at the Air Canada Centre on April 26, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Bismack Biyombo is going to be key for Toronto in their second round series against Miami. The Raptors will need his rim protection when Goran Dragic and Dwyane Wade start to drive.

Which is why the Raptors are lucky he did not get suspended for this blow from Game 7 vs. the Pacers (watch Biyombo elbow Myles Turner in the face in the middle of the key):

https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js

At the time there was no call — as bad a miss as anything from the end of the Thunder/Spurs game — but after the fact the NBA has assessed a flagrant 2 foul on Biyombo.

However, no mention of a suspension for this incident alone. The Raptors catch a break there, as Biyombo should have been tossed from the game and/or given a suspension for that elbow. That said, one more flagrant and he does get a suspension.

NBA’s Basketball Without Borders to host first event in Australia

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 21:  A general view is seen of the city skyline over Melbourne Park during day three of the 2015 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 21, 2015 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Andrew Bogut. Dante Exum. Matthew Dellavedova. Patty Mills. Joe Ingles. Technically Kyrie Irving (he was born there but plays internationally for the USA).

Australia has brought a fair amount of talent — and scrappy players — to the NBA, and now the NBA is taking one of its outreach programs there.

Yesterday the NBA, FIBA, and Australia’s National Basketball League announced a Basketball without Borders event June 23-26 at Dandenong Basketball Stadium in Melbourne. It’s the first time the community outreach program will come to the island nation of Australia.

“We are pleased to partner with FIBA and the NBL to bring the first Basketball without Borders camp to Australia,” NBA Asia Managing Director Scott Levy said in a statement. “The league has seen a surge of Australian talent in recent years, and we look forward to supporting the next generation by giving them a platform to showcase their skills alongside their peers from throughout the region.”

These events bring in youth basketball players and work with them, both giving young players highest quality instruction and raising the profile of the sport in the nation with a little star power. Basketball Without Borders will celebrate 15 years this summer and has been all over the globe with similar events.

Now they can check Australia off the list.