It will not be until the first part of next week that we see officially how the players will respond to the latest ultimatum from David Stern and the owners.
But Thursday night union president Derek Fisher seemed hesitant about it, and as Friday wore on more and more players and owners seemed to turn against the deal the more they learned about it. It showed up in twitter, in conversations with sources, just about everywhere.
Check out this quote from an agent that spoke to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com (and know that this is the prevailing sentiment out there):
“They’ve lost me,” said one of the previously moderate agents. “Three months ago, we thought this would be done. We thought people would be reasonable.”
Players seemed to be echoing those thoughts. Like what the Pacers Danny Granger told Mike Wells if the Indianapolis Star.
‘From what I’ve seen and heard, the counter offer is the same they presented us a week ago, making a few minor changes that in the big scheme of things that really did nothing to the deal. I would expect that proposal to be rejected after all the players learn more about the deal. The next step I don’t know.'”
My guess is the players will try to do what they did last time Stern made an ultimatum — ignore the threat and try to negotiate off this latest offer.
The bigger question is what Stern and the owners do? If they really do revert to his reset offer and the players start the decertification process, well, how do you feel about talking lockout on Christmas Day?