NHL Season Cancelled

More NHL players tell NBA brethren to get deal done

2 Comments

NBA players believe they are fighting for something right, fighting for a principle of fairness that generations of players before them had to struggle for. They don’t want to give that up, and plenty of players even still will tell you they’d miss a season to fight for it.

Which is exactly what the NHL players were saying seven years ago.

Now? It’s a different story. NHL players by and large are telling NBA guys to get a deal done, reports Jerry Zgoda at the Star Tribune.

“I don’t think that’s the thing most guys look back and say they’re ticked off about, that they missed a year of paychecks,” said (Minnesota forward Matt) Cullen, who like many others played in Europe that season. “I don’t really think that’s the issue. I mean, they feel like it was a missed opportunity. You just don’t know how long you have to play this game and you’re missing a whole year for something that seems, from the outside anyway, like it should be straightforward to resolve.

“It just seems foolish to waste a whole year on negotiating something. I know it’s a fact of life and that’s the way it is sometimes. But as a player, you’re thinking, ‘Man, how can they not get this resolved?’ when we’ve got a whole season at stake, we’ve got tons of fans and there’s jobs lost in arenas around the league?”

We’ve already told you that Bill Guerin — one of the NHL union’s VPs and hardliners back in the day — has said it was not worth it. He lost $9 million in salary (plus NHL salaries were rolled back 24 percent on future deals), money he never recovered. And as a veteran his career was never the same afterwards.

He reiterated that position.

“Get a deal done. I learned a big lesson: It’s not a partnership, it’s their league, and you are going to play when they want. It’s not worth it to any of them to burn games or to burn an entire year. Burning a year was ridiculous.”

It’s unclear how many in the NBA players union would heed his advice, but it appears to be more and more each day.

Al Horford shows he still has hops dunking on Solomon Hill (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

That’s just nasty.

Atlanta’s Al Horford gets the ball out high, but within his range, so when he pump fakes Indiana’s Lavoy Allen goes flying by. That opens up the lane and Horford attacks it, Solomon Hill tries to cut him off, but Horford just finishes threw him.

Pacers and Hawks played an entertaining, close game Friday night.

Dwyane Wade shows he still has hops with dunk on Hornets (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade still has some springs.

In what may be his best dunk in recent memory, he shoulders Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to create space in transition, then gets up and throws it down before Nicolas Batum can get there for the block.

Not sure even Wade saw that one coming.

Reigning dunk champ LaVine: ‘I’ve got tricks up my sleeve’

Leave a comment

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves guard Zach LaVine is heading back to All-Star weekend to defend his slam dunk title. And he says he has “a few tricks up my sleeve” after dominating the event last year.

LaVine will compete against Detroit center Andre Drummond, Denver swingman Will Barton and Orlando forward Aaron Gordon in Toronto next weekend.

LaVine was one of the breakout stars of All-Star weekend last year with his electric performance in the dunk contest. He says he debated about coming back and made his decision after strong encouragement from his fans.

If LaVine wins, he will become the fourth player in the 31-year history of the event to repeat as champion. Michael Jordan, Jason Richardson and Nate Robinson are the others.

Report: Blake Griffin has second procedure on hand, timeline remains unchanged

Blake Griffin
Leave a comment

Blake Griffin will still return to the Clippers some time in March (barring any setbacks).

That said, he had a second procedure this week to repair the boxer’s fracture in his right hand, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

Clippers forward Blake Griffin underwent a second procedure this week on his broke right hand, sources told ESPN. The procedure was a part of the original surgery last week, so sources said the 4-6 week timeframe for his return remains unchanged.

This might help explain why Griffin’s hand looked so swollen and scarred this week. But to be clear, this was a planned second procedure, not a setback.

Griffin suffered the fracture punching a Clippers’ equipment manager while everyone was out to dinner in Toronto recently, while Griffin was still sidelined with a quadricep injury. The Clippers have moved on, but it is likely the league will tack on a couple of game suspension for Griffin upon his return to health.

And no, the Clippers are not looking to trade Griffin in spite of this. So stop asking.