Before last week’s big meeting on Tuesday, there was a lot of optimism in the air — plenty of people were suggesting a labor deal could be close (whether they meant to tweet it or not).
Then Tuesday broke up with both sides disappointed. The players agreed to drop their share of basketball related income to 52 or 53 percent (down from 57 percent in the old deal) but the owners wanted that AND a hard salary cap. Or at least enough of them did for Stern to say Thursday after a Board of Governors meeting that the owners were unified behind a hard cap. The players remain united against that.
A report from David Aldridge of NBA.com said the players were led to believe that the concession they made was going to be a huge breakthrough.
But two sources who have been briefed on the talks indicated the following: sometime during the last of the small sessions between the two sides in New York, on Sept. 7 and 8, the union made its 53 percent concept to the owners. After the proposal was made, according to the sources, the union believed it had assurances from the other side that the offer would be viewed favorably by the owners’ Labor Relations Committee. That was the basis of player optimism — including union executive committee member Roger Mason’s infamous “looks like a season” tweet a few days later. And that’s why the union was so crestfallen on Sept. 13, when the meeting with each side’s full negotiating committees failed to produce a breakthrough.
If the hard cap is mandatory, we are in for a long lockout. The owners may be able to get another percentage point or two off the BRI, but that with a hard cap is asking a lot of the players. Still, it seems like a lot of owners want it, including big market ones.
Training camps are supposed to open the first couple days of October, with the first games Oct. 9. To show you how much everyone expects that to happen, the Drew and Goodman leagues scheduled their rematch for Oct. 9. If the season is going to start close to on time, the two sides need to reach a deal in the next couple of weeks.
In the weeks since Kevin Durant announced he was signing with the Golden State Warriors, we have yet to hear Russell Westbrook speak on his former teammate’s decision. This week, ESPN.com’s Royce Young indicated in a podcast interview that Durant was telling Westbrook and others in the days leading up to his decision that he was coming back to Oklahoma City. He later walked back his report, saying he misspoke. On Thursday, Durant himself told The Vertical‘s Shams Charania that he never said any such thing, or misled Westbrook or anyone else about his intentions.
“It’s false,” Durant told The Vertical on Thursday. “I didn’t say that – words about me telling Russell or Nick that I would stay or leave never came out of my mouth. We met as teammates, but no promises came out of it. In this day and age, I can’t control anything people claim out there. Someone can go out and say something random right now, and people will believe it.
“I never told Russell or Nick [Collison], ‘All right, guys, I’m coming back to the Thunder’ – and then a week later, I decide not to. Never happened. I don’t operate like that. I heard people say that story, but it’s not the truth.”
So that settles that.
CHICAGO (AP) The Chicago Bulls have signed guard Spencer Dinwiddie.
The Bulls acquired Dinwiddie in a trade with Detroit last month and waived him three weeks ago. He spent two years with the Pistons and appeared in 12 games last season, averaging 4.8 points and 13.3 minutes.
The Bulls announced the move Thursday.
The Wizards are getting a new practice facility.
For some reason, the Wizards have to pay just $4.46 million for it. Washington D.C. will cover the rest.
How much is the rest?
Jonathan O’Connell of The Washington Post:
The District”s sports and convention arm, Events DC, is proposing a series of upgrades to a planned Washington Wizards practice facility and entertainment center in Southeast that would likely reduce the total number of seats but add $10 million to the original $55 million price tag.
The new spending would be paid for by Events DC, which is funded by a percentage of hotel occupancy taxes. It does not require approval by the D.C. Council but will have to be voted on by the Events DC board Aug. 11.
Wizards owner Ted Leonsis pledged to move the team’s practices there as well as home games for the Washington Mystics and a future Wizards’ NBA D-League affiliate team. His company, Monumental Sports & Entertainment, agreed to pay $4.46 million — or 8 percent of the original $55 million cost.
But in a July 26 letter to D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson, Gregory A. O’Dell, president and chief executive of Events DC, wrote that the original $55 million budget was “based on a preliminary estimate, as development and analysis of the program and concept design had not yet been performed.”
So, the District agreed to pay for a project without knowing how much it would cost and got the primary beneficiary — Leonsis — to kick in a share based on a low early estimate? It’s almost as if politicians are inept or have ulterior motives.
At least Wizards practices and WNBA games will bring plenty of new money into the community.
As Leonsis said, “There’s never been a better time to be an owner of an NBA franchise.”