Chris Mullin is a Golden State Warriors icon. A star player, five-time All-Star and part of Run TMC, the golden years for Golden State. It was those years that helped him get elected to the Hall of Fame. He then went on to the front office and was the GM the one time this franchise made the playoffs in the last 15 years.
But the divorce was ugly and public. Under former owner Chris Cohen Mullin was marginalized as team president Robert Rowell and coach Don Nelson asserted their control. Rowell ripped Mullin publicly (regarding the Monta Ellis moped injury and subsequent fine and suspension). The franchise icon was kicked to the curb.
No longer. Among the things new owner Joe Lacob tried to do was reconcile that relationship, and as Mullin enters the Hall of Fame it appears the bridge is back between the two sides, Matt Steinmetz tells us at CSNBayArea.com.
Owner Joe Lacob, who assumed control of the team in November, has tried to repair the damaged relationship, and Mullin has been receptive to that. Things between Lacob and Mullin started with a little bit of a hiccup — when Lacob questioned Mullin’s GM strategy during his introductory press conference in November to announce his ownership — but since then progress has been made.
In April, after Mullin had been named to the 2011 Hall of Fame class, Lacob said he wanted to retire Mullin’s No. 17 Warriors jersey and indicated he hadn’t even realized it wasn’t retired…
Now, with Mullin a little more than a week away from enshrinement, it’s become clear Lacob has done more in terms of extending the olive branch. For one, the Warriors’ public relations department is in charge of handling Mullin’s media requests leading up to the event…. In addition, three representatives of the team — ambassador Alvin Attles, general manager Larry Riley and coach Mark Jackson — will be in attendance at the enshrinement in Springfield, Mass., on Aug. 12.
This is good to see. Mullin is an iconic Warrior and needs to be part of that franchise — or at least on good terms with it — in some way.
The ProBasketballTalk Podcast at NBC Sports is done with its summer hiatus, and there will be a couple of podcasts a week now running through the NBA season, trade deadline, playoffs, and eventually free agency. We’ll talk about it all.
We start with NBA season previews, going division by division, and we start that tour on the West Coast. Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News joins Kurt Helin of NBC to talk about the Lakers and their rebuild. From there the conversation goes to questions such as can anyone beat the Warriors? Are the Clippers contenders? Plus we talk about the building processes going on in Sacramento and Phoenix.
As always, you can check out the podcast below, or listen and subscribe via iTunes (check there to see all the NBC Sports podcasts), subscribe via the fantastic Stitcher app, check us out on Google play, or check out our new PBT podcast homepage and archive at Audioboom.com.
The Rockets created a little roster confusion by giving Gary Payton II a fully guaranteed deal, bringing Houston to 15 players (the regular-season roster limit) with guaranteed salaries plus restricted free agent Donatas Motiejunas.
This won’t clarify the situation, but P.J. Hairston will give the Rockets another intriguing piece.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Hairston was a first-round pick just two years ago, and at age 23, he still presents upside. He has at least stopped producing negative headline after negative headline after negative…
Now, we can focus on just Hairston’s major on-court flaws. He misses a lot of shots and does little else. But he has some raw tools, even if they barely showed with the Hornets and Grizzlies.
If the Rockets make a roster-clearing move, they could take a chance on keeping the talented/troubled wing around. More likely, he heads to the D-League, where Houston can develop him in its system.
After watching Joakim Noah leave for the Knicks, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf said, “We felt Joakim wasn’t going to be a frontline guy anymore.”
Noah, via Marc Berman of the New York Post:
“He’s entitled to his opinion,’’ Noah said. “I feel I have no regrets about my time in Chicago. I gave it everything I had. To me that’s all that matters. I did everything I could for that organization. I thought it was a little bit of a low blow, but at the end of the day I have nothing but respect for that organization. I’m just excited for this new chapter of my career.”
Reinsdorf was right. Noah, 31, is on the downside of his career. I wouldn’t want him for $72 million over the next four years.
But Noah is also right. He gave the Bulls everything he had.
Noah didn’t deserve that parting shot, even if it was correct.
I also wonder how much this has to do with Chicago correctly assessing Noah’s value vs. the Bulls losing a player whom they wanted to keep and lashing out about it.
The Spurs drafted Ryan Richards No. 49 in 2010, and he could’ve signed with San Antonio any year since. To maintain a second-rounder’s rights, a team must extend a required tender – a one-year contract, surely unguaranteed at the minimum. If the player rejects the offer, those rights extend another year, and the team must then offer the tender again the following year.
Richards finally took the tender this year.
Just a couple days into training camp, the Spurs showed how much they value him.
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have waived forward/center Ryan Richards.
San Antonio now has 19 players and one open roster spot. I know what you’re thinking.