Monday both the NBA and the Maloof brothers will announced that the Kings will remain in Sacramento for another season, CSN California reports.
A source close to the discussions tells Comcast SportsNet that the NBA has told the Maloofs to expect the Kings to stay in Sacramento next year.
The NBA is expected to put out a press release on Monday and the Maloofs will follow with a release of their own, but an NBA press conference is not expected. The source also said Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson is expected to hold a press conference on Monday.
Expect the Maloofs (the owners of the Kings) to come out at their press conference talking about how they love Sacramento and never wanted to leave, how they want to make it work. Nobody in Sacramento will buy it. That family has a lot of work to do to repair their reputation in Sacramento
The Maloofs had planned to move their team to Anaheim starting next season. They had negotiated a lease agreement for the Honda Center and set up a personal loan from billionaire Henry Samueli, who operates the center. Even plans for a television deal had been set up. It seemed a month ago that this move could not be stopped.
But in the end staying seemed to be only option the Maloof brothers had. After Johnson spoke to the NBA owners — the Board of Governors — and talked about $10 million in new sponsorships and plans for a new building starting to take shape, other owners sounded like they were willing to give Sacramento one more chance.
It became clear in the past week or so the Maloof brothers did not have the majority vote of owners that would be required to approve the move. There became more and more of a feeling that this move was about the Maloof families personal financial issues — the Palms cansino, like all of Las Vegas, has been hard hit by the economy, and the brothers have taken on a lot of debt — than it was about the team.
Sacramento gets one more year. But if efforts for a new stadium do not take huge leaps in the next year, if money is not lined up to build it, the Kings will be gone next summer.
But for now, the Kings stay.
Gordon Hayward dunks on Giannis Antetokounmpo, Thon Maker (videos)
The Lakers took on the salary of Jose Calderon this year so they could get a couple second-round picks from the Bulls (Chicago got him from New York in the Derrick Rose trade), but even with the previous regime in Los Angeles the aging point guard was never part of the future.
Sources told ESPN that it’s not yet a certainty Calderon will secure his release from the Lakers in the coming days, but the sides are indeed discussing the options as Wednesday’s playoff eligibility deadline nears….
Sources say that Calderon, if he winds up hitting the open market, would instantly become a target for both the Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets.
Cleveland may also have interest if their plan to land Deron Williams when he is bought out by Dallas goes awry.
Calderon, 35, was not part of the Lakers’ regular rotation, playing in just 24 games. He can still knock down a shot if he has space and can set his feet, and he still has a high hoops IQ and can see the floor, but his athleticism has faded, and that can leave him exposed. Particularly on defense.
Players are being waived now so they clear in time for teams to sign them by March 1, after that said players are not eligible for playoff rosters.
There are better players to hit the waiver wire in the coming days — D-Will, Andrew Bogut, Matt Barnes — but Calderon is going to land somewhere. He’d be a solid third point guard and veteran presence for a playoff run.
Marquese Chriss blocks Bobby Portis, who gets testy (video)
The time off during the All-Star break did Dwyane Wade some good.
The Bulls guard turned back the clock on Friday night, leading the Bulls with 23 points and topping it off with this dunk that proved to be the dagger, sealing a Chicago win. The Suns were convinced Wade was going to run the shot clock way down before making his move and they lollygagged into position — so he just blew past everyone for the poster slam.