NBA owners call timeout on Kings move, deadline pushed back

5 Comments

The NBA owners have called a timeout on the Kings efforts to move out of Sacramento and to Anaheim.

It likely still will happen, especially after the NBA took the ludicrous step of naming Clay Bennett — you remember him, the guy that bought the Sonics and put in a non-existent effort to get a new building in Seattle, then moved the team to Oklahoma city screwing the Sonics fan base — as the head of the relocation committee.

But the league is going to take a closer look at everything for a couple of weeks. So that’s something.

The bottom line is that the deadline to file an application to move has been pushed back to May 2, NBA Commissioner David Stern said. The board listened to presentations both from Anaheim people and Kevin Johnson, the mayor of Sacramento (and former NBA player).

Reports out of Sacramento say that after two days of meetings with the Board of Governors (made up of the other NBA owners) the Kings owners, the Maloof brothers, are frustrated. They wanted a faster process — they wanted a rubber stamp approval — and the other owners have a lot of questions.

“The terms of the relocation to Anaheim were not fully understood by the committee, having to do with the lease and the arraignments between the Kings and Anaheim entities,” Stern said at a press conference Wednesday. “In addition, Mayor Johnson came in and said there would be lots of additional dollars available that would improve the Kings economic performance in Sacramento if they stayed. And that the community had recently been mobilized and could aid a keeping of them there for a season.

“So the committee decided to do a little more fact finding.”

Stern followed up to say that while the documentation in Anaheim was not incomplete (a word he had used earlier), the others owners understanding of the documentation was incomplete. Says it was a complex deal that the owners could not get their heads around.

Johnson and Sacramento offered a couple carrots. One was the possibility of between $7 million and $9 million in new sponsorship and other revenues. In addition to better season ticket sales, things that could help keep the Kings in the black in Sacramento.

The owners also seemed to have questions about the lease deal the Maloofs are getting into, which includes Honda Center operator Henry Samueli (the owner of the NHL’s Ducks) getting a chunk of luxury box revenue and more.

“The committee wanted more time to understand certain financing issues, certain television issues, certain issues regarding construction that would need to be committed to to enhance the fan experience and raise revenue expectations at the building,” Stern said. “And, if the relocation were approved, what would be an appropriate relocation fee.”

Stern said that the idea of billionaire Ron Burkle stepping in to buy the team — something else Johnson brought up — was not a high priority. Unless the Maloofs want to sell, he’s not really going to have any leverage

In the end, as it always does in Sacramento, it came back around to the building. Stern hammered away at both how inadequate the current Power Balance Arena (formerly ARCO) was, and how there had been multiple efforts shot down. Stern was pretty bitter about it. As if telling Sacramento it had its chance, and it has been too slow in getting a new building up and running.

But for now, everybody has taken a time out.

LeBron James blows wide-open dunk (video)

1 Comment

J.R. Smith (slightly out of context): “We don’t start paying attention until after All-Star break.”

Report: Raptors’ Delon Wright out a month

Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Raptors guard Delon Wright dislocated his shoulder, but at least he won’t need surgery.

Raptors media relations:

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

The Raptors (11-5), off to a surprisingly strong start, are second in the Eastern Conference. They’ve bought themselves margin for error. All in all, a month-long absence for Wright isn’t so bad.

Wright had been a key part of an excellent all-bench unit that included Fred VanVleet, O.G. Anunoby, C.J. Miles and Jakob Poeltl. Two-way player Lorenzo Brown has assumed Wright’s role, and Norman Powell – returning from his own injury – will provide a boost. Toronto can also stagger Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan more.

The chemistry of the bench mob was something to behold, but the Raptors should withstand this.

Report: Clippers PG Patrick Beverley out rest of season

AP Photo/Michael Owen Baker
3 Comments

Clippers point guard Patrick Beverley underwent knee surgery – never a great sign.

The prognosis is about as bad as could be expected.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

This injury isn’t just a setback for this season. It could derail the Clippers’ long-term plan.

They’ve already lost nine straight, and Danilo Gallinari and Milos Teodosic are injured. If they fall further out of playoff position, they could become sellers before the trade deadline, especially with DeAndre Jordan ($24,119,025 player option for next season) and Lou Williams ($7 million salary on expiring contract).

Health was always the major question with this team, and it won’t soften as Blake Griffin and Danilo Gallinari age through lucrative contracts.

The final year of Beverley’s contract is guaranteed for just $5,027,028 next season, and the 29-year-old will spend most of the summer recovering from this injury. That salary is probably low enough that the Clippers will keep him without hesitation.

Until then, down a couple point guards, the Clippers have no choice but to continue leaning more on Austin Rivers. That also means greater roles for second-round rookies Jawun Evans and Sindarius Thornwell. That’s just too many players facing outsized responsibility.

The Pelicans, Grizzlies, Jazz and any other team competing for the final playoff spots in the Western Conference ought to feel better about their chances. They’re still competing with each other, and it’s doubtful all three make it. But Beverley’s injury helps clear the way.

The Clippers, who didn’t want to take a major step back after Chris Paul‘s departure, must confront an even more uneasy reality.

Giannis Antetokounmpo out for Bucks-Suns Eric Bledsoe revenge game

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
2 Comments

Giannis Antetokounmpoone of the NBA’s best players – won’t help new Bucks teammate Eric Bledsoe in a revenge game against the Suns tonight.

Not only is Milwaukee missing Mirza Teletovic and John Henson (and Matthew Dellavedova and Jabari Parker), Antetokounmpo is out.

Matt Velazquez of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Antetokounmpo will miss Wednesday’s game against the Phoenix Suns due to right knee soreness.

Antetokounmpo says his knee soreness is the same injury he dealt with in the off-season, which caused him to withdraw from the Greek national team.

“It feels good,” Antetokounmpo said after sitting out shootaround. “I’m just trying to be careful with it and not make any damage. That’s it, because it’s a long season and I’m trying to be careful.”

The Bucks have been outscored by 18.6 points per 100 possessions without Antetokounmpo this season (and are +2.3 without him). Phoenix isn’t good, but neither is Milwaukee without Antetokounmpo.

I don’t think Bledsoe will mind a chance to get more aggressive tonight, though.