Lakers Kings Basketball

Billionaire makes last-minute run to keep Kings in Sacramento

2 Comments

It’s a Hail Mary.

But if you’re going to call a Hail Mary, having a billionaire making the toss helps.

That’s what happened in the saga of the Kings potential move out of Sacramento on Thursday.

The Maloof brothers, the owners of the Kings, made their case for needing to pack up their franchise and move to Anaheim to the NBA Board of Governors — the other owners — at a meeting in New York. The vibe out of that meeting was basically cautious.

According to multiple reports, the Maloofs preached about how they swear they are not in as much debt as has been reported. Basically, they’re good, the market is the problem. Of course, that begs the question of why they needed a loan from Henry Samueli, the operator of the Honda Center? And why the terms of the lease are so bad? But okay.

The surprising news was that Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson (yes, the former Suns player Kevin Johnson) told that same board he had billionaire Ron Burkle ready to buy the team and keep them in Sacramento. Burkle is a grocery-store magnate and a big-time catch — a billionaire buddy of Bill Clinton who did big time fundraising for his wife. He runs in powerful circles. In an NBA where owners need to be richer and better connected, he is a whale (to use the gambling parlance). David Stern likes whales.

Burkle confirmed in a press release he wants in.

Problem is, the Maloofs continue to tell everyone they are not going to sell. They were emphasizing that again yesterday. Remember that George Maloof Sr. – the father of the Maloof brothers — bought the Rockets in 1979 and they sold it after he died a couple years later. They have said before they regretted that move, and that likely plays into them holding on to their asset.

So now what? Good luck guessing. It’s hard to picture the rich capitalist owners telling the Maloof brothers they cannot move to make more money. But Lakers owner Jerry Buss is trying to make the Kings pay a heavy relocation fee to move into what he sees as part of his market. If he (and Clippers owner Donald Sterling) succeeds, then the cost of the move might be too great and the deal would fall apart.

Then there’s the Burkle Hail Mary.

Maybe what matters most is Burkle saying he would be willing to buy a team and move it to Sacramento. Well, if a new stadium is built. It’s always about the stadium. But with a team for sale down in New Orleans where efforts to find local ownership are going slowly, it is something to watch. Do they have hornets in Sacramento?

Dwyane Wade shows he still has hops with dunk on Hornets (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade still has some springs.

In what may be his best dunk in recent memory, he shoulders Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to create space in transition, then gets up and throws it down before Nicolas Batum can get there for the block.

Not sure even Wade saw that one coming.

Reigning dunk champ LaVine: ‘I’ve got tricks up my sleeve’

Leave a comment

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves guard Zach LaVine is heading back to All-Star weekend to defend his slam dunk title. And he says he has “a few tricks up my sleeve” after dominating the event last year.

LaVine will compete against Detroit center Andre Drummond, Denver swingman Will Barton and Orlando forward Aaron Gordon in Toronto next weekend.

LaVine was one of the breakout stars of All-Star weekend last year with his electric performance in the dunk contest. He says he debated about coming back and made his decision after strong encouragement from his fans.

If LaVine wins, he will become the fourth player in the 31-year history of the event to repeat as champion. Michael Jordan, Jason Richardson and Nate Robinson are the others.

Report: Blake Griffin has second procedure on hand, timeline remains unchanged

Blake Griffin
Leave a comment

Blake Griffin will still return to the Clippers some time in March (barring any setbacks).

That said, he had a second procedure this week to repair the boxer’s fracture in his right hand, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

Clippers forward Blake Griffin underwent a second procedure this week on his broke right hand, sources told ESPN. The procedure was a part of the original surgery last week, so sources said the 4-6 week timeframe for his return remains unchanged.

This might help explain why Griffin’s hand looked so swollen and scarred this week. But to be clear, this was a planned second procedure, not a setback.

Griffin suffered the fracture punching a Clippers’ equipment manager while everyone was out to dinner in Toronto recently, while Griffin was still sidelined with a quadricep injury. The Clippers have moved on, but it is likely the league will tack on a couple of game suspension for Griffin upon his return to health.

And no, the Clippers are not looking to trade Griffin in spite of this. So stop asking.

Report: Doc Rivers says Clippers not interested in moving Blake Griffin

Blake Griffin, Jason Smith
Associated Press
1 Comment

NBA general managers are vultures — if they see an opportunity to buy low on a player, they circle and hope to pick off a meal.

You can be sure Clippers’ GM Doc Rivers phone was full of those calls starting soon after the word leaked of Blake Griffin required surgery on his hand after punching a team employee. The vultures have called with lowball offers, and even when shot down some teams have made sure word of their call leaked out in a “look how hard we are working to get you a star” kind of way. It’s good for PR.

The Clippers are not looking to trade Blake Griffin. Right now, at least.

From Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times.

Bolch expanded upon that in an article.

The Clippers have fielded calls involving various trade proposals but remain reluctant to part with a cornerstone of their franchise and a player who, at age 26, was having possibly his best season before he was sidelined by a quadriceps injury the day after Christmas and subsequently a broken hand sustained in a scuffle with assistant equipment manager Matias Testi.

Right now the vultures are circling, and lowball offers are all the Clippers will get — they couldn’t come close to getting value back. This season the Clippers will get Griffin healthy and hope they can make a deep playoff run.

If the Clippers are bounced in the first or second round this spring, they have some soul searching to do — can the core of Griffin, Chris Paul, and DeAndre Jordan beat the Golden State Warriors? If they feel the answer is no, then they must consider changes. And if they were to shake up the core, Griffin may be the most movable piece — plus the Clippers have shown they can play well without him.

However, the Clippers may try to upgrade the pieces around that core and make one more run at the Warriors, then consider breaking things up in 2017 if it doesn’t work out. It’s hard to put together a core as good as the Clippers have right now, and breaking it up comes with great risk. They are not just going to leap blindly off that cliff.

The bottom line is, any Griffin trade rumors you hear up until Draft night, and likely beyond that, are more teams trying to look good to their fan bases than valid trade talks.