Cavaliers Nuggets Basketball

‘Melo says nothing yet, but he hopes to have offer this weekend

2 Comments

Carmelo Anthony spoke to the media for 20 minutes on Friday afternoon and was able to sound like an innocent bystander in his own trade drama.

“I don’t know/out of my control,” was his mantra as he said nothing was in place. No meetings are set with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov or Knicks owner James Dolan. He has not gotten a call about or discussed any “legitmate” offers. He said if he is presented with one he would have to “think about” what to do.

But he did say he hopes that by the time he leaves Los Angeles after All-Star weekend.

“Before I leave (Los Angeles) I would love to have something on the table,” Anthony said. “I would love to have a legit offer on the table where we can sit down and they can say to me ‘this is what we have’ and we can figure it out….

“I hope it’s not at the 11th hour trade deadline. I do need my rest. I need to get some sleep. I don’t need that much stress on me.”

When asked about the actual options he tried to sound like a guy out of the loop, not at the center of the Melodrama that bears is name. As if his stand on signing an extension — with Denver or the Nets or the Knicks — is not what will decide how this all ends.

When asked about the report the Nets and Nuggets have a deal in place if he signs an extension he said that had not been discussed with him.

“I really don’t know where that’s at,” Anthony said. “As far as any agreement… I don’t know anything about that. I haven’t gotten any phone call as of this moment.”

He played the same card when asked about meetings with owners (even in the face of reports he met with Knicks owner Dolan last night, as reported by the New York Daily News).

“The Nuggets haven’t called me and said ‘we are close to a deal with New Jersey’ or anything like that,” Anthony said.

He did say the Nuggets had come to him before and said there was a deal on the table last month, right before Prokhorov got tired of being jerked around and pulled the Nets out of the talks.

He continued to say Denver is an option, even though he has had an extension from them sitting on the table since this summer he has not signed it. At this point, not sure Denver is on the hook, biting on that bait.

“The only thing I can control is signing that extension,” Anthony said. “There’s a lot of things I think about though, like what the future of the Denver Nuggets really is, what they are trying to do with the team, what the goal is in a couple years.”

The one thing he and everyone else agreed on — he wants this to end.

“I haven’t got no sleep in a week,” he said.

Craig Sager to get third bone marrow transplant thanks to anonymous donor

CLEVELAND, OH - JUNE 16:  Legendary TNT sideline reporter Craig Sager talks with Game 6 of the 2016 NBA Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors at Quicken Loans Arena on June 16, 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio. Sager is on a one game assignment for ESPN. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Craig Sager couldn’t be in Rio covering the Olympics for NBC, his cancer wouldn’t allow it. That didn’t stop Team USA from reaching out to him before they left. Or from Nike designing a sweet pair of shoes for him.

Now there is good news on his battle against leukemia — he will have a third bone marrow transplant, according to his son Craig Sager II.

This is fantastic news for a man and family who have been through a lot. Hopefully, this treatment is a step forward for Sager, a man beloved by everyone around the NBA.

Report: With Joffrey Lauvergne trade, Mitch McGary likely done with Thunder

DALLAS, TX - MARCH 16:  Mitch McGary #33 of the Oklahoma City Thunder at American Airlines Center on March 16, 2015 in Dallas, Texas.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Oklahoma City frontcourt is crowded. Enes Kanter and Steven Adams will start, and they will have Nick Collison, Ersan Ilyasova, Domantas Sabonis, and now Joffrey Lauvergne behind them.

Which likely means Mitch McGary‘s done as a member of the Thunder, according to Royce Young of ESPN.

McGary has battled injuries his two seasons in the league and got on the court for only 72 minutes total last season for the Thunder (he played in more games and put up solid numbers in the D-LEague). He was not part of the future there regardless. He’s an undersized five trying to play the four and what he brought as a rookie — energy — was not enough as a sophomore.

McGary will make $1.5 million this season. He may be tough to move because he’s suspended for the first five games he’s eligible to play next season for failing the league’s drug policy (five games is the standard suspension for testing positive for marijuana three times). Maybe a team looking to develop players will give him a shot, but there is little trade value for him.

Dwight Howard is shooting 19-footers to improve his free throw stroke

Dwight Howard
AP Photo
10 Comments

If you can knock down a 19-foot shot, then a 15-footer should be easier. Right?

Apparently that — and just basic muscle memory — is the latest attempt to improve Dwight Howard‘s free throw shooting. And, he seems to be knocking down those shots.

It’s not hard to see the logic in this approach.

The challenge is form and reps are not the problems for Howard — or DeAndre Jordan or Andre Drummond or others — when it comes to hitting free throws. Anyone who says “why don’t they just practice the shot” doesn’t pay attention, these guys put in a lot of work on the shot. Pregame and in practice (I’m Los Angeles based), Jordan probably hits 65 percent from the line. At least.

The problem is mental. That can be a tougher hurdle to clear. Maybe taking 19 footers and knocking them down will have Howard feeling more confident at the stripe this season.

But we’re going to need to see it to believe it. Just like we’re going to have to see a rejuvenated Howard in Atlanta before we believe this season will be different from the last few.

Report: Veteran big man Jason Thompson agrees to deal in China

BEIJING, CHINA - OCTOBER 15:  Jason Thompson # 34 of Sacramento Kings in action during the 2014 NBA Global Games match between the Brooklyn Nets and Sacramento Kings at MasterCard Center on October 15, 2014 in Beijing, China. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Until this season, Jason Thompson had never been to the playoffs. He spent seven seasons in Sacramento before getting traded to the Warriors last offseason, and then signing with the Raptors midseason when Golden State waived him to make room on the roster for Anderson Varejao. His NBA days appear over, at least for now. International basketball reporter David Pick reports that Thompson has agreed to a deal to play in China.

Since the CBA’s season ends in March, Thompson could theoretically join an NBA team for the stretch run next year. But he didn’t appear to have much interest on the free-agent market this summer.