carmelo anthony

Is Carmelo Anthony to Lakers rumor just to prod the Knicks?

4 Comments

Of course they feel that way. Suddenly reports coming of New York writers are saying that the Carmelo Anthony to the Lakers for Andrew Bynum rumors that sprung forth today are really about the Knicks.

Because it’s always about you, New York, isn’t it? Always.

First we have Alan Hahn at Newsday who writes:

A person with knowledge of the situation said Carmelo-Bynum talks actually took place last summer and nothing materialized beyond the initial discussion. The Daily News reported that Lakers executive Jim Buss, son of team owner Jerry Buss who feels strongly about Bynum’s potential, rejected such a proposal. The Los Angeles Times posted a story on its website that cited a Lakers source calling the original ESPN report “inaccurate.”

New York based Ken Berger of CBSSports.com is more direct (like a good New Yorker should be):

A third person connected to the situation said he found it “suspicious” that the Bynum-Anthony scenario would become public so soon after it was publicly revealed that the Knicks have found a willing participant in the Timberwolves to contribute to a three-team scenario that would send Anthony to New York. That person said he received some signals early last week that the Lakers and Nuggets were at least considering entering into Bynum-Anthony discussions.

“Someone is trying to scare New York,” the person said.

Thing is, they’re right. Part of this is obviously a ploy to gain some leverage on the Knicks, something they lost when the Nets walked away from the table. The Lakers could be that leverage.

Before the Knicks offer included two of the three of Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Landry Fields, plus a pick they would trade for, and the expiring deal of Eddy Curry. Now, it’s Wilson Chandler and Eddy Curry in a less-thrilling package. The Nuggets need that Lakers leverage to get another player in back in the deal.

But would the Lakers actually do it? Is there any real threat there?

Depends on how the Lakers front office is thinking. If the thinking is to win this year, then this move hurt them. Figuring out how to integrate Anthony into the triangle offense with Kobe will take time. How Ron Artest would react to coming off the bench at the three and having fewer minutes could be an issue. Most importantly, Andrew Bynum is the defensive anchor of the Lakers and that is their weakest area. Anthony is not a good defender. The Lakers would improve an offense already best in the league but hurt a defense that already may be a stumbling block to a title.

But if the Lakers are thinking about three years from now, when Kobe would 36 and Anthony would be just 29, it makes some sense. Anthony would become the building block for the Lakers future, to build the post-Kobe Lakers around in a couple years, with the team being very good in the interim.

But would the Lakers risk sacrificing the now for what might be down the line? Especially when they will be a draw to future free agents as well (they can play out this cycle then look to the future).

Maybe the Lakers are thinking that way, but with Jim Buss (son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss and the guy at the top of the Lakers player/personnel pyramid) being a huge backer of Bynum, this seems unlikely. Buss pushed to draft and keep Bynum, he’s not going to abandon him now. There already have been reports Jim Buss shot this deal down.

But if the Nuggets are having those talks, no matter how serious, it makes sense for them to leak the info. Just to prod the Knicks and show they have leverage.

Andre Drummond hits buzzer-beating heave from beyond halfcourt (VIDEO)

ATLANTA, GA - OCTOBER 27:  Andre Drummond #0 of the Detroit Pistons reacts in the final seconds of their 106-94 win over the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena on October 27, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia.  NOTE TO USER User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading andor using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Andre Drummond is a terrible free-throw shooter…except, apparently, when he’s shooting from the other free-throw line. Monday night against the Raptors, Drummond cut Detroit’s deficit to five at the end of the third quarter with this three-quarter-court heave at the buzzer:

Now, if only he could work on his accuracy from his own free-throw line.

Joe Johnson banks in three to give Nets win over Nuggets (VIDEO)

NEW YORK, NY - FEBRUARY 03:  Joe Johnson #7 of the Brooklyn Nets dribbles against the Indiana Pacers during their game at the Barclays Center on February 3, 2016 in New York City.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Not a lot has gone right for the Nets this season, but an impressive clutch shot by seven-time All-Star Joe Johnson gave them their 14th win of the season on Monday. With time expiring, Johnson banked in a long three-pointer to put Brooklyn up 105-104 over Denver and secure the victory:

Johnson had 12 points on the night.

Report: Kings plan to fire George Karl in coming days

SACRAMENTO, CA - JANUARY 09:  Head coach George Karl of the Sacramento Kings stands on the side of the court during their game against the Golden State Warriors at Sleep Train Arena on January 9, 2016 in Sacramento, California.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)
10 Comments

For about a week, word has circulated throughout the NBA that George Karl’s days in Sacramento were numbered. They’ve lost eight of their last 10 games, and players have more or less checked out on him. Remember, it’s only been a year since the Kings unceremoniously ousted interim head coach Ty Corbin to bring Karl in, which came on the heels of their puzzling dismissal of Mike Malone in December 2014.

Now, ESPN.com’s Marc Stein reports that the Kings have made the decision to let Karl go:

The decision itself isn’t surprising—it always seemed to be a matter of “when,” not “if” Karl would be fired. But the optics here are not good. If everybody knows it’s coming, it makes no sense to leak that the change is going to happen hours or even days before it’s made official.

The report of the Kings’ decision on Karl comes on the heels of a concerning bombshell Rajon Rondo dropped following Sacramento’s 120-100 loss to the Cavaliers on Monday night.

Via the Sacramento Bee‘s Jason Jones:

Sports Illustrated‘s Jake Fischer further reported that only three players indeed showed up on Monday morning:

That’s a bad look for everybody involved. An optional shootaround is more or less unheard of in the NBA, and if only three players bothered to come, that’s an unignorable sign that the team has quit on Karl.

Karl-Anthony Towns fakes out Luke Babbitt with spin move (VIDEO)

ATLANTA, GA - NOVEMBER 09:  Karl-Anthony Towns #32 of the Minnesota Timberwolves reacts after hitting a basket against the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena on November 9, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia.  NOTE TO USER User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
1 Comment

Since he came into the league, Karl-Anthony Towns‘ offensive footwork has been unusually advanced for a rookie. He showed off his impressive moves again on Monday night, getting to the basket around Luke Babbitt with this spin: