Jerry Stackhouse

No hard feelings for Stackhouse after being cut from the Heat roster

1 Comment

Miami’s bench may seem rather shallow, but the Heat are actually operating at the league’s maximum roster size. So when Erick Dampier became a top candidate for replacing the minutes and production of Udonis Haslem, that meant one thing: if Dampier was to be had, one member of the Heat would have to go. Jamaal Magloire, Jerry Stackhouse, Juwan Howard, and Dexter Pittman, were all playing out minimal one-year deals, but in a bit of a surprise, Miami elected to part ways with Stackhouse in spite of their limited number of playable wings.

Stack, to his credit, understands the decision and doesn’t hold it against his now-former team. From Marc Stein, writing for ESPN.com’s The Heat Index, here’s Stackhouse’s reflection on his recent release:

“I never really got a chance to have any impact on what was happening one way or the other,” Stackhouse told ESPN.com via e-mail. “They know that. “I really feel they had full intentions of [providing that opportunity], but the injury to [Udonis Haslem] coupled with being outrebounded and losing the paint game in all of the losses — and even a few of the wins — put the onus on addressing those issues as opposed to finding out how I could complement what was going on, which I fully understand.

“The business is the business. I have no complaints. I thank Pat Riley and the Miami Heat organization for giving me the opportunity, which allowed me to get in NBA condition [and] will definitely benefit me when another opportunity arises.”

Miami doesn’t need high-minute subs due to the presence of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, but shouldn’t they have more than Eddie House and James Jones available in case of injury? Particularly considering the minor tweaks that has already caused Wade to miss games during the regular season and preseason?

I guess Stack’s usefulness to the Heat will be re-evaluated if any more injuries arise, but for now, Miami is content to wait for Mike Miller’s return while working Dampier into the big man rotation. No one should question the logic of the Dampier signing; his combination of interior defense (both on-ball and help) and rebounding is an unquestionable boon for Miami. But given the Heat’s needs elsewhere on the depth chart, it’s a bit curious that they chose to part with Stack as opposed to the now redundant Jamaal Magloire.

Al Horford shows he still has hops dunking on Solomon Hill (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

That’s just nasty.

Atlanta’s Al Horford gets the ball out high, but within his range, so when he pump fakes Indiana’s Lavoy Allen goes flying by. That opens up the lane and Horford attacks it, Solomon Hill tries to cut him off, but Horford just finishes threw him.

Pacers and Hawks played an entertaining, close game Friday night.

Dwyane Wade shows he still has hops with dunk on Hornets (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade still has some springs.

In what may be his best dunk in recent memory, he shoulders Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to create space in transition, then gets up and throws it down before Nicolas Batum can get there for the block.

Not sure even Wade saw that one coming.

Reigning dunk champ LaVine: ‘I’ve got tricks up my sleeve’

Leave a comment

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves guard Zach LaVine is heading back to All-Star weekend to defend his slam dunk title. And he says he has “a few tricks up my sleeve” after dominating the event last year.

LaVine will compete against Detroit center Andre Drummond, Denver swingman Will Barton and Orlando forward Aaron Gordon in Toronto next weekend.

LaVine was one of the breakout stars of All-Star weekend last year with his electric performance in the dunk contest. He says he debated about coming back and made his decision after strong encouragement from his fans.

If LaVine wins, he will become the fourth player in the 31-year history of the event to repeat as champion. Michael Jordan, Jason Richardson and Nate Robinson are the others.

Report: Blake Griffin has second procedure on hand, timeline remains unchanged

Blake Griffin
Leave a comment

Blake Griffin will still return to the Clippers some time in March (barring any setbacks).

That said, he had a second procedure this week to repair the boxer’s fracture in his right hand, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

Clippers forward Blake Griffin underwent a second procedure this week on his broke right hand, sources told ESPN. The procedure was a part of the original surgery last week, so sources said the 4-6 week timeframe for his return remains unchanged.

This might help explain why Griffin’s hand looked so swollen and scarred this week. But to be clear, this was a planned second procedure, not a setback.

Griffin suffered the fracture punching a Clippers’ equipment manager while everyone was out to dinner in Toronto recently, while Griffin was still sidelined with a quadricep injury. The Clippers have moved on, but it is likely the league will tack on a couple of game suspension for Griffin upon his return to health.

And no, the Clippers are not looking to trade Griffin in spite of this. So stop asking.