Vince Carter was one of the few Magic players attacking the basket against the San Antonio Spurs. He drove again with 5:24 left in the fourth quarter, made a spin-move layup, landed a awkwardly injuring his left knee and soon after left the game for good.
No report yet on how severe the injury is, but what Carter told the Orlando Sentinel did not sound good.
“When I made the spin move and went up for the layup, as I landed, I just felt some sharp pain go through my knee, under the kneecap more so than anything,” he told the Orlando Sentinel after the game. “I just wasn’t sure. I just wanted to go to the back and try to run it off and I couldn’t. I couldn’t get any push off on it.
“So, I don’t know what it is. I’ve looked at it. It’s a little swollen right now, so it’s really hard to tell. I’ll get it evaluated tomorrow.”
Carter had not really spoken with the team doctors yet. One would expect an MRI but it really depends how it feels and looks in the morning.
While Carter had a reputation for injuries earlier in his career, the last five seasons he has played at least 75 games.
Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.
He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:
In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”
“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.
The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.
Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.
Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.
General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.
McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.