UPDATE 3:21 pm: He had it — Webster went under the knife Monday to remove part of a herniated disc in his back that had been giving him problems, according to the Star Tribune.
No word on a recovery timetable, but four to six weeks sounds likely. Someone on the Timberwolves needs to pick up the scoring on the wing with Webster out — Michael Beasley and Wesley Johnson will get the call. We’ll see how that goes, but it’s not a cause for optimism.
1:53 pm: Martell Webster was scoring 12 points a game and looking pretty good in Minnesota through the first six games of this preseason, until back spasms sidelined him.
Except, it may be more than that, according to the Star-Tribune. Webster will find out Monday if he needs surgery.
“It’s definitely not long term,” Webster said before saying surgery will be a topic discussed at the doctor’s. “I’m waiting and keeping my fingers crossed.
“Maybe not, ” he said, meaning surgery might not be required. “We’re going to take it one step at a time. I’m not going to come back until I’m fully ready because I don’t want to make the problem chronic.”
He will not play when the Timberwolves open the season Wednesday. When he will play remains a question mark.
But on a team that needs scoring from the wings (unless you really think Beasley is the man there), he will be missed. Our advice: Just get the ball to Kevin Love more. Please.
Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.
He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:
In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”
“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.
The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.
Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.
Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.
General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.
McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.