Or maybe not… new report says ‘Melo to Knicks has “no legs,” Nets still frontrunners

Leave a comment

UPDATE 10:16 PM: It may be a couple months — specifically after Dec. 15 — before Anthony does get traded. So make yourself comfortable.

Dec. 15 is when players signed over the summer as free agents can be traded, so the pool of people that could be traded for Anthony expands that day and the Nuggets are willing to wait for that, according to Ken Berger at CBSSports.com. However, it is unclear exactly who that would free up to be traded to the Nuggets (although things change once the real games start).

The Nuggets are going to move him, they realize they need to if they want anything back for him, but they are not going to move now just to get a deal done. The real question is if their patience will be their undoing as teams are more likely to squeeze the Nuggets as things get closer to the trade deadline.

9:33 pm: With the ongoing ‘Melodrama, everything is spin.

Yesterday’s report — out of New York — was that the Knicks were back in the running for Carmelo Anthony.

That now seems to be dead in a New York Minute.

NBA.com’s David Aldridge — based outside the five boroughs — says that the Knicks are still watching from the sidelines, they are not in the race. But the Nets are still running hard.

A league source with knowledge of the New York Knicks’ thinking said on Wednesday that there were “no legs” to an ESPN.com report that the Knicks have made “significant” progress on a trade that would bring Carmelo Anthony to New York from the Denver Nuggets.

Other league sources that have been involved in trade discussions with the Nuggets about Anthony in recent weeks maintained that the New Jersey Nets are still in direct talks with Denver about Anthony, though a proposed four-way trade that would have brought Anthony to the Nets last month involving New Jersey, Denver, Utah and Charlotte fell through.

One source said that though that deal died, the Nets have “never been out of the mix” in discussions about Anthony, and that Denver was still trying to figure out a way to get either forward Andrei Kirienko from Utah, Charlotte’s Gerald Wallace or the 76ers’ Andre Iguodala in a package for Anthony. Kirilenko was part of the original four-team deal, and would have gone to Denver.

NBA trade talks are like politics — the truth varies depending on who you ask.

ESPN’s Chris Sheridan (author of the Knicks are alive story) is a top-flight, professional reporter. Somebody with insight told him the Knicks were making strides — maybe either a persons or people with interest in the Knicks making strides. Maybe somebody in Melo’s camp (that is still his top choice), or maybe somebody with the Knicks. Maybe a lot of things.

Other people have interest is saying that the Nets are only viable option. Or that the Nuggets still want Utah and AK47 in the deal. Or that the Nuggets need more time.

Everything is spin. Maybe the Knicks are making progress but the Nets are still the frontrunner. Maybe not.

All we really know is that Anthony wants out — even though he is not saying that publicly — and that the longer Denver waits the more other teams will start to squeeze them with their offers.

Victor Oladipo’s practice dunk better than anything he – or maybe anyone – did in dunk contest (video)

Leave a comment

Victor Oladipo has grown into far more than just a dunker.

In fact, in Saturday’s dunk contest, he didn’t look like a dunker at all.

The Pacers star missed all three attempts of his first dunk, and a Black Panther mask was by far the biggest draw of his second. Oladipo was eliminated after the first round.

Maybe Dennis Smith Jr. wasn’t the only eliminated dunker who left something in his bag. This Oladipo dunk – 180 degrees, throwing ball off the backboard with his left hand while in mid-air, dunking with his right hand – while preparing in Los Angeles was awesome.

Larry Nance Jr. had the contest’s best dunk. This would have rivaled it.

Pelicans owner Tom Benson hospitalized with flu symptoms

Sean Gardner/Getty Images
Leave a comment

METAIRIE, La. (AP) — New Orleans Saints and Pelicans Owner Tom Benson has been hospitalized with flu symptoms.

A statement released Wednesday by the NFL and NBA clubs says their 90-year-old owner is resting comfortably at Ochsner Medical Center, a hospital which also serves as a major sponsor and which owns naming rights to the teams’ training headquarters.

Benson has owned the New Orleans Saints since 1985 and bought the New Orleans Pelicans in 2012.

In recent years, Benson has overhauled his estate plan so that his third wife, Gayle, would be first in line to inherit control of the two major professional franchises.

 

Report: Seattle hosting Kings-Warriors preseason game

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
1 Comment

Kevin Durant spent his rookie season in Seattle, before the SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City and became the Thunder. He has said Seattle fans deserved to see him grow up in the NBA after supporting his promising start.

They’ll get their chance.

Ailene Voisin of The Sacramento Bee:

The Kings and Golden State Warriors have scheduled a preseason game next season in Seattle, according to multiple league sources.

The Oct. 6 meeting between Northern California teams will be the first NBA game in the Key Arena since the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City after the 2007-08 season and became the Thunder.

This game will be loaded with storylines. Not only Durant, but the Kings considered moving to Seattle a few years ago. And of course, the return of NBA basketball to Seattle.

At some point, Seattle will get its own team again. For now, this preseason game creates intrigue there.

Report: Kawhi Leonard cleared medically, seeking second opinion

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
8 Comments

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he’d be surprised if Kawhi Leonard played again this season, a stark reversal from just a month ago. Back then, even while announcing Leonard was out indefinitely with a quad injury, the San Antonio coach said Leonard wouldn’t miss the rest of the season.

What’s going on?

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

After spending 10 days before the All-Star break in New York consulting with a specialist to gather a second opinion on his right quad injury, All-NBA forward Kawhi Leonard bears the burden of determining when he’s prepared to play again, sources told ESPN.

Leonard has been medically cleared to return from the right quad tendinopathy injury, but since shutting down a nine-game return to the Spurs that ended Jan. 13, he has elected against returning to the active roster, sources said.

The uncertainty surrounding this season — and Leonard’s future which could include free agency in the summer of 2019 — has inspired a palpable stress around the organization, league sources said.

At first glance, this sounds like Derrick Rose five years ago. Even after he was cleared to play following a torn ACL, the then-Bulls star remained mysterious about when he’d suit up. His confidence in his physical abilities seemed to be a major issue, and he was never the same player since (suffering more leg injuries).

But the Spurs famously favor resting players to preserve long-term health. They seem unlikely to rush back Leonard. They might even sit players who want to play more often. And Leonard isn’t Rose.

Still, it’s clear something is amiss in San Antonio. Maybe not amiss enough to end Leonard’s tenure there, but the longer this lingers, the more time for tension to percolate.