George Karl cleared by doctors, will be back on Nuggets bench

Leave a comment

Thumbnail image for George_Karl.jpgThis may be the best news we’ve heard all summer.

From the Denver Post comes the official word from coach George Karl.

“It’s official,” George Karl said Thursday just before taking off for a long Labor Day weekend with family. “I’ve been cleared to go for it. My PET scan came back great.”

Karl will be back on the Nuggets’ bench come the fall. That had been expected, even by Karl, as reports on his recovery had been good all summer. But there needed to be the final, official word. Now it’s here.

As anyone who has dealt with cancer in their family can tell you, the road is not over for Karl, who has fought off cancer twice now. There will be a lot more tests and monitoring.

“In three months, I’m going to have another PET scan,” he said. “I’ll probably have three or four more PET scans in the next year. And then the second year it won’t be that many, it might be only two, but you’ve still got to go through them.

Not everything is right in Karl’s world, however. This was throat cancer he was fighting, so the chemotherapy and treatments were aimed there. That affected his ability to eat and drink severely, he’s still on soup and cottage cheese and other softer foods.

And then there is the other thing it took away.

“I’ve had a beer and it tasted awful,” he said. “It tasted so bad that I actually had to ask, ‘Are you sure the beer is good?’ It tasted like I was drinking Alka-Seltzer. So that was disappointing. I’m going to wait a little longer, because the taste of beer is really important to me. I want that one to get back.

Damn cancer.

Mark Cuban suggests supplemental draft for undrafted free agents

Mark Cuban
1 Comment

A lot of people around the NBA have ideas to improve the draft, free agency and the D-League, and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has never been shy about sharing his. His latest idea seems pretty logical: a supplemental draft for undrafted free agents.

Via Hoops Rumors:

“I would have a supplemental draft every summer for undrafted free agents of the current and previous 3 years,” Cuban wrote in an email to Hoops Rumors. “If you are more than 3 years out you are not eligible and just a free agent.”

The supplemental draft would have two rounds, and teams would hold the rights to the players they select for two years, Cuban added. Players can opt out and choose not to make themselves eligible, but those who get picked would receive fully guaranteed minimum-salary contracts when they sign, according to Cuban’s proposal.

“That would make it fun a few weeks after the draft and pre-summer league,” Cuban wrote. “It would prevent some of the insanity that goes on to build summer league rosters.”

It’s an interesting proposition. Most undrafted players who sign during the summer don’t get guaranteed contracts, so when deciding to enter this supplemental draft, they would have to weigh the value of having guaranteed money versus getting to decide where they sign. It’s unlikely that anything like this could happen anytime soon, because of all the hoops to jump through to get the league and the players’ union to sign off on it, but it’s a worthwhile idea that deserves some consideration in the next CBA negotiations.