Tim Donaghy, publisher split ways

Leave a comment

donaghy.jpgDisgraced former NBA referee Tim Donaghy and the publisher of his book, “Personal Foul,” will no longer be working together, according to Dan Devine of Yahoo! Sports. The book had been published by a company called VTi, but VTi CEO Shawna Vercher stated in an email that her company has “decided to terminate our relationship with Mr. Donaghy and will no longer be representing him as a client.” As for the book itself, the first edition has been “retired” and VTi “will not be distributing it in the future.” In his own email, Donaghy said that Four Daughters LLC will be publishing the second edition of his book. The book garnered a lot of attention because of Donaghy’s claim that it contained data about which referees have specific vendettas or biases that effect the outcome of a game. Most of the specific biases Donaghy mentions in the book were shown to not statistically exist by Henry Abbott and Kevin Arnovitz in a report last year. 

Donaghy and Vercher are telling very different stories about why their business relationship ended. According to Donaghy, the dispute is strictly financial — he claims that he has asked Vercher many times to “see where the money went” from the sales of the book, only to be denied that information, and that he “hasn’t received a dime” from book sales. 
Vercher gave very different reasons for why her company decided to terminate their relationship with Donaghy:
Vercher told BDL the relationship had broken down “over the last couple of months, coming to a boil over the last week or so,” when she alleges Donaghy began making “threats of violence.”
“He threatened to come here,” Vercher said, claiming that the prospect of Donaghy appearing at VTi’s Largo, Fla., offices in search of royalties (which she says were not yet available, terming the fiscal turnaround “not a fast process”) rankled her employees and frightened her.
“He mentioned that someone was going to come up here and get me, that they knew where I live,” Vercher said. “He made mention of his ties to members of the Gambino crime family, saying that they were active in our area.”
As the alleged threats against herself, her employees and her business escalated, Vercher said, she made the decision to cut the cord “for safety reasons.”

Donaghy vehemently denies Vercher’s claims, and stated that she is trying to profit off of his disgraced reputation. This will all become clearer in the next week or so, as Vercher has been served with a subpoena requiring that she present an accurate accounting of the total sales of “Personal Foul.” Meanwhile, Vercher will be seeking an order of protection in a Florida court, and claims to have evidence of some of the threats Donaghy has made against her. We’ll see how this all turns out. 

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.