Well, the Richard Jefferson to the Spurs experiment seems to have fizzled out. Officially. Everyone pretty much knew it was dead a couple months ago. But now we have proof.
Displeased with the way he has fit into their system, the San Antonio Spurs are attempting to trade forward Richard Jefferson just days before the trade deadline, multiple league sources have confirmed.
However, because of Jefferson’s lack of production this season, as well as his $14.2 million salary, it does not seem likely the Spurs are going to find any takers.
Really? Nobody wants to take on $15 million in salary next year for a guy whose production dropped dramatically this year? Couldn’t have seen that coming.
Jefferson’s shooting percentage numbers are pretty similar to last year (except from three, which dropped from 39.7% to 35.4%). What has dropped are his shot attempts (especially at the rim) as he has struggled to find his way fitting in with Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. Jefferson is giving the Spurs 14 points a game, but he is using 11.5 shots to get that.
General manager R.C. Buford did roll the dice on this one, giving up Frabrico Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen to get Jefferson. But he had to do something — the Spurs as constructed were not going to beat the Nuggets, let alone the Lakers, in the playoffs. They needed to do something to open the championship window again. On paper Jefferson seemed a good idea.
In practice, the Spurs are wasting a throwback year from Duncan. And no move at the deadline is likely to change that.
Thunder center Enes Kanter – who had passport revoked by Turkey – lacked documentation to travel for a December game against the Nets in Mexico City and a March game against the Raptors in Toronto.
Apparently, that issue has been resolved.
Brett Dawson of The Oklahoman:
Kanter said on Sunday that the team has worked out an arrangement to allow him to travel to games in Toronto and Mexico City even without a passport.
It always seemed highly likely Kanter would get to Toronto and Mexico City. He’s a high-profile millionaire working for a billion-dollar company.
In July, Carmelo Anthony was reportedly confident he’d be traded to the Rockets.
That optimism always seemed misguided. A couple months later, with Anthony still on the Knicks, it looks downright foolish.
Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:
Anthony’s camp is cautiously optimistic that a deal will be struck before Monday, and trying not to think about the potential media circus that will take place if Carmelo is still with the Knicks.
It’s more likely Anthony’s confidants are hopeful than optimistic. If they’re actually optimistic, they’re very likely to be disappointed.
If Anthony hasn’t been traded by now, what will change between now and Monday? Houston still must find a taker for Ryan Anderson, and that’s no easy task – not without relinquishing sweeteners more valuable than Anthony. I suppose Anthony could waive his no-trade clause for additional teams, but it’s late for a deal to come together.
Hopefully for Anthony, his advisors aren’t pinning everything on a longshot trade and are helping him craft answers to the numerous questions he’ll face at media day next week – likely in New York.
Once an advocate of increasing the age minimum and a willing accepter of one-and-done, NBA commissioner Adam Silver sounded more open about allowing high school players to declare for the NBA draft.
The new Collective Bargaining Agreement left the issue open, but Louisville coach Rick Pitino predicts change is coming – relatively soon.
Pitino, via ESPN:
When I was at Kentucky, I had seven high school basketball players, told me they were coming, and instead, they went to the pros out of high school. And by the way, I think that rule is going to change back to that. I think high school players are going to be able to go pro again.
I think the commissioner is probably going to do it within two years.
Does Pitino know something? With decades of experience in the NBA and college, he could have many contacts with inside information. It’s certainly imperative for devising a recruiting strategy to know how this rule will change.
It’s also possible Pitino saw Silver’s comments, like any outsider could have, and is making a relatively blind guess.
But the possibility of inside information makes his comments more intriguing.
The Warriors are charging $60 million over three years for their jersey ads – about double what any other NBA team is getting.
Golden State chief marketing officer Chip Bowers, via Darren Rovell of ESPN:
“We actually had multiple finalists,” Warriors chief marketing officer Chip Bowers said. “This was not the biggest deal that we were offered.”
Bowers said the team felt it was important for the deal to be with a worldwide brand.
Light years ahead.